Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Boeing/Airbus EFIS artwork: textures/texture map ?

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Boeing/Airbus EFIS artwork: textures/texture map ?

Postby Hooray » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:01 pm

I realize that all/most aircraft are 3D these days - however, I was wondering - do we have any easily reusable texture work that renders a suitable mode select panel for the ND ?

Something like this, ideally with texture coordinates (hotspots):

http://www.meriweather.com/flightdeck/7 ... /efis.html

This could be either a raster image or a SVG, does not really matter - the idea is to use this for controlling the ND dialog shown below (instead of all those checkboxes):

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:Protot ... play_Style

Alternatively, a single texture map that can be used as background images would also suffice.

(Please don't create any new artwork until we have figured out if we have something suitable already or not)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Re: Boeing/Airbus EFIS artwork: textures/texture map ?

Postby CaptB » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:13 pm

I once made this Boeing styled FMC SVG for a VATSIM event, would a similar style be acceptable to you?

CaptB

Callsign: EKCH_AP
IRC name: CAPTB
Version: 2018.1

Postby Hooray » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:19 pm

Yeah, having something like that would be pretty cool - but please don't create anything from scratch, I am pretty sure with over 300+ aircraft, that there must be some existing artwork/textures that could be reused for this.

Besides, the CDU/MCDU is very nice, but much more complicated than the ND buttons shown above - i.e. all that is needed is really the functionality currently shown in the dialog, everything else isn't even modeled/supported yet. Admittedly, there is some variety - i.e. the Airbus style supports a few more features.

But in general, it would seem doable to create a nice-looking background image with a texture map for different buttons (and their states), so that we don't need to use actual widgets to control the whole thing

Basically, this would work in terms of having 2 Canvases, one embedded/shown inside the other, as per F-JJTH's original GPS/Garmin196 experiments:

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Garmin_GPSMap_196
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby CaptB » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:23 pm

You need the present dialog and it's functionality to be simply themed after the Boeing or Airbus looks, not a recreation of any particular real world instrument, correct?
CaptB

Postby Hooray » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:30 pm

Yeah, it's like a background image, broadly based on what the Boeing/Airbus ND panel looks like, with a texture map for different button states (on/off, range button).
Maybe with a cutout in the middle for the actual screen (like your CDU shown above) - at that point, we could do away with classical PUI widgets and merely use a native Canvas UI.

I think Hyde and Gijs may be in a better position to tell exactly what behavior is accurately modeled by the Boeing "style" of the ND.

But like I said, please don't spend any time working on this until we have figured out what we have and what we need exactly - e.g. it may make more sense to post a simple textured mapped example first and see if we can get that to be animated using Canvas event listeners and texture maps. At that point I could take it from there and change the dialog so that it does not use any PUI whatsoever - just a texture map with event listeners, changing their appearance based on some internal state.

Actually, it's very much in line with the old 2D/2.5D panels - so maybe ther eare even sutiable texture in some of the old Airbus/Boeing variants to be found ?
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby CaptB » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:36 pm

I'm pretty familiar with how Boeing and Airbus instrumentation work. I will be on standby for this task when you are ready to provide futher details. Please PM me if I happen to miss changes to the thread.
CaptB

Postby Hooray » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:14 pm

Thanks for your offer, what would really help is reviewing existing Boeing/Airbus aircraft that have a 2D panel and see if we can reuse parts of that, because it already comes with all the artwork and texture mapping etc
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Return to Aircraft