Board index FlightGear Development Google Summer of Code

[Proposal] Autogen Scenery using OSM as source

Project proposals, student applications and all related discussions.

[Proposal] Autogen Scenery using OSM as source

Postby b166er » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:01 pm

OpenStreetMap will soon change he's license from CC-SA to ODbL, it would be possible to use OSM-data as source for our scenery!
forum topic about: OSM/ODbL "vs" FG/GPL and here is the result

idea: build a server-based system, to auto generate scenery with using OSM as source! the auto generated scenery must have 3d-objects like buildings, bridges and other things from OSM. some pre-test's screenshots looking good for me here. some logic could bring pre-defined texture to auto-generated buildings in dependence of osm-tags (like: building:roof*, building:type, etc..)
then TerraSync can download like version control system (e.g. svn) the latest scenery from our server, it check if newer version exists on server, if so, then download.
as alternative option, user can download a world-snapshot once time before start (with e.g. terrasync-client or from web), and just stay always offline (if user just want quick start the game with any map and without latest updates).

current situation:
  • we have many good custom scenery contributions, but fg-user must search them and install this custom scenery self
  • works on buildings in fg-scenery stay alone in our "island" scenery world, stay out from/dont participate with real world and other projects

benefits after realize this idea:
  • we participate from very active OSM-contributions (our scenery will be faster increase with high details like buildings and roads)
  • all things will be stay on one central place
    • data-source stay at OSM-db
    • system-logic for fetching, filter & prepare data stay on FG-server (we decide which data we want include in our scenery and which just filter out or add in)
      • if OSM-data dont have enough tags-information to create a important object like airport,
        then we become the ability to add new/better objects with texture to scenery in our server-script (simple logic like: if gps-lon:x and gps-lat:y then use this texture or create this building)
  • add & edits will happen on central point (OSM DB) with many tools like JOSM, then the quality and amount of data will be faster increase, win&win situation => synergy effect
  • our scenery will always up to date! Despite the new construction site and new buildings in real world

here some related topic's

same projects are already exist for X-Plan but have unfortunately incopatible license (CC-SA) for GPL

it would be nice, if some people from GSoC could build this system. if need, i can also be a mentor for this idea.

thanks!
b166er

Callsign: b166er
Version: 2

Re: [Proposal] Autogen Scenery using OSM as source

Postby Johan G » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:47 pm

Looks interesting. :)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Mogthor » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:04 pm

This would be awesome, and it would fix the problem of the only detailed scenery being in the places that are being actively developed. Like a certain random town in Kansas that I call "home" is very well mapped in OSM, but is sub-par in the normal scenery. I would love to see this!
Beast Mode.
Mogthor

Callsign: Mogthor
Version: 260

Postby b166er » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:47 pm

3D Developing in OSM project is moving on! here is a wiki about current status

Glosm is also a nice sub-project from OSM, here the wiki about the project and youtube a demo video

generating 3D buildings from OSM is possible today, here a simple map as demo and wiki about the project

maybe we could use this idea/technology?
b166er

Callsign: b166er
Version: 2

Postby HHS » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:50 pm

Unfortunately the original page is down, but there has been already a try to implement this two years ago:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:fwhz3gjtJzEJ:gallery.flightgear.org.uk/+FlightGear+%2B+developement+pics&cd=5&hl=de&ct=clnk&gl=de&source=www.google.de -->Automatic Building Generation

X-Plane will uses this or a similar technic now on X-Plane 10.
Up, up and away
HHS

Version: GIT

Postby JonS » Mon May 02, 2011 5:22 pm

My advice on all of this is *not* to use it as a source for autogenerated scenery. You'll end up with something which doesn't look that great, and is completely unusable due to the frame rate being <1.

What it *is* useful for is providing you with a perfectly positioned and scaled polygon which you can use as a starting point for a model (I've been doing this for the area I live with data I've surveyed myself).

Jon
JonS

Postby ckruetze » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:41 pm

Slightly related to this discussion:

The main OSM wiki page currently has an interesting Image of the week.
The image is a screenshot of Project XHT a program to import OSM building details into X-Plane.

Christian
ckruetze

Postby wicking » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:02 pm

b166er wrote in Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:01 pm:same projects are already exist for X-Plan but have unfortunately incopatible license (CC-SA) for GPL
[list][*]http://www.opensceneryx.com/[/*]

Wait: Who says, that a GPL program can’t use CC licensed data? The models provided on opensceneryX combined with the data from OSM could be used to “easily” (someone has to do it though) create a very detailed scenery for FlightGear.

Why not stay with the GPL licence for the FlightGear package but change the licence for scenery to a CC licence? There would be a lot more ressource for scenery if it uses one of the CC licences.
wicking

Callsign: wicking
IRC name: wicking
Version: 2dot4

Postby aussi » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:20 pm

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the rather delayed contribution to this thread - It just popped up on one of my regular Google trawls for OpenSceneryX related discussions.

I'm the maintainer of OpenSceneryX and would be very happy to discuss collaboration with the FlightGear project.

Just a quick note about the license - The OpenSceneryX library is distributed from only one source, the opensceneryx website. It is not distributed with the sim, or from any other sources, therefore I am the only person who needs to get permission from the contributors to distribute their objects. Scenery packages that use osx do not physically include the objects, only references to them, so individual package authors don't need to deal with licences at all. This means that we use the 'by-nc-nd' to protect our authors - no-one is allowed to make a derivative library or scenery package that physically includes any of their objects without their explicit permission.

Cheers,
Austin.
aussi

Postby Hooray » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:48 pm

Austin, hi & welcome - thanks for dropping by and providing some feedback, I am sure the people who posted here, will get back to you soon.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Return to Google Summer of Code