Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

ATI problem graphics card list!

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

ATI problem graphics card list!

Postby MegaMoogle » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:50 pm

Hey Guys

I've heard a lot about problems with ATI graphics cards and Flightgear, and the explanations.

However, don't you think it might be useful to find out which ATI graphics cards have a problem?

So how about we have a list of ATI graphics cards which have a problem with Flightgear? Therefore, people building and buying computers who like Flightgear can have an idea of what ATI graphic cards don't have a problem!

Thanks

MegaMoogle!
"All men wear masks - whether it be over their faces, or over their hearts..."
- Godot
MegaMoogle

Re: ATI problem graphics card list!

Postby simbabeat » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:24 pm

My comp says my graphics card is a ATY RadeonX1600. Is that an ATI card? I don't have fgfs problems with it.
simbabeat

Postby ethan3391 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:56 pm

simbabeat wrote:My comp says my graphics card is a ATY RadeonX1600. Is that an ATI card? I don't have fgfs problems with it.

ATY has a more famous, yet evil twin called ATI. :D

No I don't really know, maybe a problem with the software? After all Radeon is an ATI product name.
What one fool can do, another can. (simian proverb published in the book, Calculus Made Easy by, Silvanus P. Thompson)
ethan3391

Postby ot-666 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:34 pm

The problem with this kind of list could be the OS you going to run FG and the changing drivers from ATI + the changing but always bad support of openGL.

For windows users:
My tryouts for windows show some problems with the recent drivers for win7 64bit.
It seems like ATI is at the moment not able to provide a bug free openGL driver for this system. (tested on ccc 9.6 up to ccc 6.12)

No clue for any win7 32bit drivers, since I never tryed.

If you are going to use some older ATI card (like x1600, x1650 or x1900) that is only supported by ATI with legacy drivers, it seems everything is working on the FG1.9.1 with XP 32bit and win7 64bit if you use ccc 9.6 or ccc 9.8. Never tryed the most recent ccc 9.11. (never change a working system)

Since there is no up to date CVS for windows i never tryed too hard to get it running on XP. But as soon as there is a new CVS binary :| I'll give it a try.
But for the latest avaliable CVS version for windows (17 August 2009) you will miss the runway lights on win7 64bit with ATI hardware (ATI hd3870).
For more info about my test on this subject check: http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6308
As soon I get my hd5870 I will add some more info about the new ATI hardware here.

Since I got no idea about the linux ATI problems, maybe someone else could share some wisdom.

cheers, oliver
Callsign: ot-666
Working on LOWI and other stuff - Custom Scenery Overlay Repo: http://gitorious.org/fgfs-custom-scenery/custom-scenery-overlay/
VMX22 - Osprey... sometimes in 2014
ot-666

Callsign: ot-666
IRC name: ot666
Version: GIT

Postby simbabeat » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:44 pm

ethan3391 wrote:
simbabeat wrote:My comp says my graphics card is a ATY RadeonX1600. Is that an ATI card? I don't have fgfs problems with it.

ATY has a more famous, yet evil twin called ATI. :D

No I don't really know, maybe a problem with the software? After all Radeon is an ATI product name.

Well I'm on a mac and when I look at what the computer says it's specs are that's the name of graphics card. I'm not having any fgfs graphics problems.
simbabeat

Postby MegaMoogle » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:39 pm

Hey Guys,

It seems that OT-666 has a decent point. Maybe it would help if you added your operating system, preferably if you could tell us if you use a 32-bit or 64-bit operating system.

Thanks!
:lol:
"All men wear masks - whether it be over their faces, or over their hearts..."
- Godot
MegaMoogle

Postby someguy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:30 am

My iMac has the X1600. There are no problems that make fg unusable, but some optional OpenGL features aren't supported, e.g., 3D clouds (billboarding fails), the sexy new shaders in CVS/2.0, and precipitation (runs on the CPU and brings fg to its knees). No updated drivers will ever be available for these Macs. I just enjoy what I have for what it is.
someguy

Version: 2019.1.1

Postby simbabeat » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:57 pm

someguy wrote:My iMac has the X1600. There are no problems that make fg unusable, but some optional OpenGL features aren't supported, e.g., 3D clouds (billboarding fails), the sexy new shaders in CVS/2.0, and precipitation (runs on the CPU and brings fg to its knees). No updated drivers will ever be available for these Macs. I just enjoy what I have for what it is.

All that stuff works for me.
simbabeat

Return to Graphics