Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Some Views show a cube around cockpit?  Topic is solved

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Some Views show a cube around cockpit?

Postby leechpool » Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:42 am

Hi everyone,
I'm sorry if this has been posted about before. I did a search but couldn't find anything.
I'm running 2020.3.13 on Ubuntu 22.04. Flying is fine etc, but if I press "v" and toggle around views for many of them such as Chase and Helicopter, I get a horrible white cube around the cockpit. It looks a bit like the cube you get in Blender when you view files with that. it's about couple meters cubed and opaque i.e. you can't see the fuselage, windows or pilot etc like you could used to. The wings and remainder of the aircraft poke out from it and look normal.
I only fly the Cessna C172P. I have fiddled with some setprop commands in yoke xml file to change the view etc, so I could reset things if I panned left right etc, so it's possible I messed something up. I've also fiddled with some of the instrument code to add some custom functionality. This involved changing or overlaying ac models so as I write this I'm wondering if I've left something in the Blender file which is causing the cube. However, the Tower View AGL is normal which makes me think it might be something else.
Could some users please let me know if their Flightgear is exhibiting this behaviour or not.
If not, I'll try a fresh install on another machine and go from there to see what's messed up with mine....
Thanks
:D
leechpool

Re: Some Views show a cube around cockpit?  

Postby TheEagle » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:00 am

No, never had it - just get a fresh copy of the C172P, put it into a separate folder and do
Code: Select all
diff --suppress-common-lines -riEZBbw modified-c172p fresh-c172p

that'll show you all your changes, and you should be able to find the cube this way ! :)
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
My other aircraft: my wiki profile !
Other: FGTools (GitHub)
World tour: View on SkyVector
Please consider donating $1 / €1 to help me finance a new camera !
TheEagle

Pronouns: You, he
Callsign: F-EAGLE
IRC name: none
Version: Git next

Postby leechpool » Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:31 pm

TheEagle,
Thanks for the fast response and confirmation it was my meddling which cause my own issues. All fixed now. Blender had put "cubes" in the models I used to add some functionality to the ASI an Hi instruments. It was easy to remove the cubes once I realised they were to blame. They could be removed from the ac files with a text editor.
It must be that Tower View AGL doesn't render the instruments in the model and so worked ok despite my stupidity in leaving large cubes in the instrument models.....
Thanks again for your help.
:D
leechpool

Postby TheEagle » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:41 pm

leechpool wrote in Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:31 pm:It must be that Tower View AGL doesn't render the instruments in the model and so worked ok despite my stupidity in leaving large cubes in the instrument models.....

Yep, some aircraft have their interior hidden in some views - the C172P included. As for the cubes, the first thing I always do when creating a new Blender file is pressing "a" then "Del" ! ;)

And please do not forget to mark this topic as solved !
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
My other aircraft: my wiki profile !
Other: FGTools (GitHub)
World tour: View on SkyVector
Please consider donating $1 / €1 to help me finance a new camera !
TheEagle

Pronouns: You, he
Callsign: F-EAGLE
IRC name: none
Version: Git next

Return to Graphics