Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Crash on Fly! Using Radeon RX 560

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Crash on Fly! Using Radeon RX 560

Postby rose508 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:27 am

Hi I have an older machine, but it seems to me that it should be sufficient to work with the program.
FGVersion: 2020.3.13
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon RX 560
CPU: Intel i7-4790 3.6 GHz 4 core
RAM: 16 GB

I just installed the software, which I downloaded from SourceForge. My graphics card has OpenCL API version 2.0 and OpenGL API version 4.6. The program opens, I make no changes and when I click on FLY! the flight window opens, is pixilated, and the window stalls and crashes. I can't seem to figure out how to upload an image. But if I wait long enough the pixilation disappears and the tutorials work. But the text blinks on and off. I am not sure if this is a configuration problem of my system is too weak.
rose508

Re: Crash on Fly! Using Radeon RX 560

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:29 am

the pixilation of the splash screen is known for AMD/ATI GPUs... it is nothing to worry about...

to fix the text and menus, open the launcher, go to the additional options tab and at the very bottom, add "--prop:/sim/gui/current-style=0" in the box... don't put the double quotes...
what this does is switch the theme that FG uses to one that is lighter weight and works as desired with AMD/ATI GPUs...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby TheEagle » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:44 am

rose508 wrote in Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:27 am:Hi I have an older machine, but it seems to me that it should be sufficient to work with the program.
FGVersion: 2020.3.13
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon RX 560
CPU: Intel i7-4790 3.6 GHz 4 core
RAM: 16 GB

I don't know about the GPU, but at least the CPU and RAM are very good.
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
My other aircraft: my wiki profile !
Other: FGTools (GitHub)
World tour: View on SkyVector
Please consider donating $1 / €1 to help me finance a new camera !
TheEagle

Pronouns: You, he
Callsign: F-EAGLE
IRC name: none
Version: Git next

Postby rose508 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:58 am

Thanks for your help. No kidding this was quick and right on.
rose508

Return to Graphics