Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

How to enable DDS by default?

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

How to enable DDS by default?

Postby namosca » Sun May 15, 2022 2:07 pm

Good morning/evening/day everyone!

I am using FG 2020.3.12 and recently saw the option to use DDS. To my amusement I found that the graphics quality increased, and my FPS doubled with it (it went from 19-23 to 36-40 FPS on my system).

Thus, I would like to use it every single time I open FG, but I've noticed that this setting is not preserved across different launches of FG. How can I enable this option forever? Is there a command line argument for this?

The options I want to have enabled by default are:
- Use disk space for faster loading (DDS Texture Cache)
- Terrain textures: Global alternative (DDS format)

Thanks so much!
Last edited by namosca on Tue May 17, 2022 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
namosca

Re: How to enable DDS by default

Postby TheEagle » Sun May 15, 2022 6:57 pm

Mhm, where did you enable that ? In the launcher, or in-sim ? The in-sim setting gets overwritten by the launcher setting at the next restart ! The launcher setting can be found in the Settings tab, Rendering section (you might have to click on "Show more" in the right-top corner of that section to actually be shown the DDS setting)
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
My other aircraft: my wiki profile !
Other: FGTools (GitHub)
World tour: View on SkyVector
Please consider donating $1 / €1 to help me finance a new camera !
TheEagle

Pronouns: You, he
Callsign: F-EAGLE
IRC name: none
Version: Git next

Postby namosca » Mon May 16, 2022 6:36 pm

Hi, TheEagle!
I have enabled that under the View -> Rendering Options inside the simulator. If I open the simulator directly without the launcher, the option "Use disk space for faster loading (DDS Texture Cache)" is preserved across different usages of the simulator. The option "Terrain textures: Global alternative (DDS format)" doesnt get preserved though.

If I use fgfs --launcher, then both options do not get preserved.

I dont have a way of setting this on the "Settings" directly on the launcher, even if I click the "show more" options.

Id like to find a way of preserving it, maybe with a command line option/argument... Do you know which command line argument with that be?

Thanks!
namosca

Postby wkitty42 » Mon May 16, 2022 11:15 pm

namosca wrote in Mon May 16, 2022 6:36 pm:I dont have a way of setting this on the "Settings" directly on the launcher, even if I click the "show more" options.

did you check all of the sections in Settings to be sure you're "show more" in all of them?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby namosca » Tue May 17, 2022 7:05 am

wkitty42 wrote in Mon May 16, 2022 11:15 pm:
namosca wrote in Mon May 16, 2022 6:36 pm:I dont have a way of setting this on the "Settings" directly on the launcher, even if I click the "show more" options.

did you check all of the sections in Settings to be sure you're "show more" in all of them?

Hi! Thanks to your tip, I just looked again on the launcher and under Rendering -> Show more, I saw the option "Cache graphics for faster loading". This activates the "Use disk space for faster loading (DDS Texture Cache)" option inside the game and is preserved among different sessions of FG, so its a good improvement for my situation, thanks :D

But for the option "Terrain textures: Global alternative (DDS format)" I still found no solution, and only get FPS improvement if this is also enabled.

If you happen to know any command line argument to activate that, Id welcome your answer :mrgreen:

Thanks!
namosca

Postby wkitty42 » Tue May 17, 2022 9:32 am

namosca wrote in Tue May 17, 2022 7:05 am:But for the option "Terrain textures: Global alternative (DDS format)" I still found no solution, and only get FPS improvement if this is also enabled.

that one is not so easy... it is not an option in the current 2020.4.0 next branch and i'm unable to find it in the in-sim property browser...

namosca wrote in Tue May 17, 2022 7:05 am:If you happen to know any command line argument to activate that, Id welcome your answer :mrgreen:

setting this one takes (or took) more than just setting a property... looking at the gui rendering dialog code, there's also some nasal involved that sets the materials file based on the selection chosen... but since the dialog in next has changed a lot and this option is not available, i suspect it is all changing with the new rendering capabilities and the development of WS3... the only option available, now, is whether DDS caching is being used and as far as i can see, regional textures are the ones used...

i'm sorry i can't help in this area any further...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby TheEagle » Tue May 17, 2022 11:21 am

namosca wrote in Tue May 17, 2022 7:05 am:Hi! Thanks to your tip, I just looked again on the launcher and under Rendering -> Show more, I saw the option "Cache graphics for faster loading". This activates the "Use disk space for faster loading (DDS Texture Cache)" option inside the game and is preserved among different sessions of FG, so its a good improvement for my situation, thanks :D

Cool, that's just what I meant !
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
My other aircraft: my wiki profile !
Other: FGTools (GitHub)
World tour: View on SkyVector
Please consider donating $1 / €1 to help me finance a new camera !
TheEagle

Pronouns: You, he
Callsign: F-EAGLE
IRC name: none
Version: Git next

Return to Graphics