Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Graphic issues on latest nightly

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Graphic issues on latest nightly

Postby lomar » Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:32 pm

Hi, i noticed two very remarkable grphical issues when running the latest nightly.

First, an old issue i had is still around: the OSM shader based buildings get dark when the model shader is on. here you can see the difference between the affected buildings and the others that are actually 3d models

And a new problem that i spotted: runway shoulders getting black in the distance. It responds to fog, as it faded when i switched from a foggy METAR to a fair weather one (also the texture doesnt look good, don't know if it is a new texture that's just uglier or another glitch).

lomar

Callsign: lomar
Version: nightly

Re: Graphic issues on latest nightly

Postby Fahim Dalvi » Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:33 am

lomar wrote in Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:32 pm:First, an old issue i had is still around: the OSM shader based buildings get dark when the model shader is on. here you can see the difference between the affected buildings and the others that are actually 3d models

Can you give a specific location + view heading where this phenomenon can be observed? (maybe the location of the picture you posted). Can you also mention the time of day, weather settings + rest of the shader settings? I can try to debug this and see if a fix is possible.
Fahim Dalvi

Callsign: Fahim
Version: 2020.3.11

Postby lomar » Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:14 pm

Fahim Dalvi wrote in Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:33 am:
lomar wrote in Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:32 pm:First, an old issue i had is still around: the OSM shader based buildings get dark when the model shader is on. here you can see the difference between the affected buildings and the others that are actually 3d models

Can you give a specific location + view heading where this phenomenon can be observed? (maybe the location of the picture you posted). Can you also mention the time of day, weather settings + rest of the shader settings? I can try to debug this and see if a fix is possible.

this picture was taken near KSEA, morning time to better show the difference between the affected and non affected structures, fair weather. but it happens anywhere, with any time and any weather.
lomar

Postby lomar » Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:44 pm

another detail i forgot to add: i get the OSM2city buildings from terrasync, from the worldbuild
lomar

Postby lomar » Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:38 pm

Delta5142 wrote in Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:28 am:Approaching Vancouver

this screenshot shows very well the dark buildings issue: the suburban houses (shader based) have a big contrast to the midtown/downtown buildings (3d models)
lomar

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:20 am

lomar wrote in Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:38 pm:this screenshot shows very well the dark buildings issue: the suburban houses (shader based) have a big contrast to the midtown/downtown buildings (3d models)

are you saying the shader-based buildings are too dark or the 3D ones are too light? what does it really look like in that area?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby lomar » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:03 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:20 am:
lomar wrote in Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:38 pm:this screenshot shows very well the dark buildings issue: the suburban houses (shader based) have a big contrast to the midtown/downtown buildings (3d models)

are you saying the shader-based buildings are too dark or the 3D ones are too light? what does it really look like in that area?

the shader-based ones are too dark. they look like they have no lighting, being completely shaded.
you can find a photo of the real thing here: https://pixels.com/featured/vancouver-aerial-view-suzanne-rushton.html
lomar

Postby Fahim Dalvi » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:47 pm

Another quick question that may help narrow this issue down, does the same problem exist on the stable release as well? Or just the nightlies?
Fahim Dalvi

Callsign: Fahim
Version: 2020.3.11

Postby lomar » Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:27 am

Fahim Dalvi wrote in Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:47 pm:Another quick question that may help narrow this issue down, does the same problem exist on the stable release as well? Or just the nightlies?

the black runway shoulder thing is only present on the nightly, but the OSM2City dark buildings thing was on the last stable as well.
lomar

Return to Graphics