Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Canvas issue  Topic is solved

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Canvas issue  

Postby Ovazor » Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:21 pm

Canvas has misbehaved for me lately. The graphics are distorted, and I cannot close a canvas widget. At first I thought it was a problem with FG1000 - The pfd graphic is upside down, with brown on top and blue bottom- but after a bit of experimenting it seems to happen to all canvas-based avionics. I tried with DA40, Cub, Q-Series 400 and Embraer family. All misbehave.

I have tried the usual - delete the old autosave, compile from beginning both SImGear and FlightGear (and then deleting the old autosave again), deleting old plane files etc...no change.

I have tried to make sense of the logs, but the only thing that seems possible relevant is below

Code: Select all

21.38 [ALRT]:nasal     /home/ova/.fgfs/fgdata/Aircraft/Instruments-3d/FG1000/Nasal/MFDPages/PFDInstruments/PFDInstruments.nas:956: Recipient PFDInstrumentsController_PFD has been removed from transmitter (GlobalTransmitter) because of the above error
21.38 [ALRT]:flight    /usr/local/src/flightgear/fg_src/FG/src/FDM/fdm_shell.cxx:192: Failed to save initial FDM property state

And here is some information on my version

/sim/version/flightgear: 2020.4.0
/sim/version/simgear: 2020.4.0
/sim/version/openscenegraph: 3.6.5
/sim/version/build-id: none
/sim/version/build-number: 0
/sim/version/build-type: Dev
/sim/version/revision: da946fb14c3c378e95fc1c88945a08be4f1fa1e7
/sim/rendering/gl-vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
/sim/rendering/gl-renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER/PCIe/SSE2
/sim/rendering/gl-version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 470.103.01
/sim/rendering/gl-shading-language-version: 4.60 NVIDIA
/sim/rendering/max-texture-size: 32768
/sim/rendering/depth-buffer-bits: 24
Flying the Dakota
Ovazor

Callsign: OH-OVA
Version: 2020.4.0

Re: Canvas issue

Postby erik » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:17 pm

Ovazor wrote in Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:21 pm:The pfd graphic is upside down

Are you , by any chance, using ShaderVG instead of ShivaVG?
If so, ShaderVG is highly experimental for now and should be avoided unless you want to update the ShaderVG code to make it behave.

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby Parnikkapore » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:43 am

download_and_compile.sh seems to be using ShaderVG by default. To use ShivaVG instead, add the following argument to download_and_compile.sh:
--sg-cmake-arg=-DUSE_SHADERVG=OFF

If you're compiling manually, add this to the SimGear cmake invocation:
-DUSE_SHADERVG=OFF
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

Postby Ovazor » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:52 am

Yes, that did it. Thank you!
Flying the Dakota
Ovazor

Callsign: OH-OVA
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby Hooray » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:49 pm

might be a good idea to set a boolean property when this is being used, and show a corresponding notice on the splash screen, analogous to Julian's CompositeViewer hints ?
The same property could also be used in the help/about dialog for troubleshooting purposes
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Return to Graphics