Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

FG not using GPU with jsbsim aircraft?  Topic is solved

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Re: FG not using GPU with jsbsim aircraft?

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:37 pm

V12 wrote in Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:56 am:It is evidence, that something in his system has been badly changed few days ago.

i agree to a point...

V12 wrote in Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:56 am:If JSBSIM C172 is terrible slow, JSBSIM Canadair Tutor is terrible slow, but YASIM Canadair Tutor is OK, then problem is somewhere in the JSBSIM.

i don't see this conclusion from the given data... there's too much left unavailable...

V12 wrote in Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:56 am:Solution is reinstall FGFS. Or delete all saved config files and test again.

agreed to a point...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby MariuszXC » Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:11 pm

What I am missing in this thread is a confirmation from the OP that he tried the steps to force the use of nVidia card.
To the OP: your laptop has two graphics cards. One is built in the CPU: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... 0-ghz.html
INOP
MariuszXC

Callsign: SP-MRM
Version: 2020.4

Postby V12 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:15 pm

MariuszXC :
Check this :
viewtopic.php?p=397649#p397649
It is evidence that FlightGear uses nVidia GPU, not integrated Intel.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby MariuszXC » Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:28 pm

Thx, missed that one.
INOP
MariuszXC

Callsign: SP-MRM
Version: 2020.4

Postby owenpsmith » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:33 am

Thank you all for your enthusiastic replies :)

To clarify a few things:

• I agree with Thorsten that it doesn't make any sense that it is an FDM issue as they have nothing to do with rendering, however as a software engineer in the defense industry I appreciate when customers provide too much information than not enough when reporting issues, I was skeptical myself that it could possibly be jsbsim but my two Tutor aircraft are identical aside from the FDM, and I launched them at the same airport, with the same settings. I've never needed to post a trouble shooting question to this forum in 12 years of using FG, but it was this conflict that let me to reach out for help as it has me puzzled. While jsbsim may not be directly responsible, it may be triggering other things and causing the issue indirectly.
  • This Tutor comparison also rules out the issue with highly developed complex aircraft, as the Tutor is still in early development and quite simple at this point, yet still performs poorly with jsbsim. Also I regularly fly the 172 as I am doing recurrency training in one currently (after 20 years out of the pilot's seat!) and I have got great frame rates until this issue occurred.
  • I did a fresh install of 2020.3.11 to attempt to resolve the issue, however I inherited my configs from my previous installation so as V12 suggests, I will try to wipe everything and do a fresh install from scratch.
  • I never claimed that I "changed nothing, it suddenly stopped", I said "I don't recall changing and settings in FG or the OS, but Windows may have changed something during an update.". I'm well aware from my work that something has changed, I just have no idea what. If I had intentionally changed something, my first step in trouble-shooting would have been to revert those changes.

I'll do a fresh install from scratch when I get some time, and will let you all know how it goes.

Thanks again everyone, I appreciate your input,

Owen.
Aircraft: Bristol Freighter Mk.31, Canadair CL-41 Tutor

Learn from the mistakes of others, only in FlightGear will you live long enough to make them all yourself.
owenpsmith

Version: 2020.3.11

Postby owenpsmith » Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:10 am

I've now done a full uninstall and re-install of 2020.3.11 and everything works! I diffed the binary folders and there were no differences, but there were many differences between the .ini and the C:\Users\Owen\AppData\Roaming\flightgear.org folders between my previous installation of the same release, so it'd be very difficult to isolate the issue.

FYI on default settings I am getting 65-75 fps with the 172, but 30-40 once I add in all of the enhanced scenery and rendering options.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions.

Owen.
Aircraft: Bristol Freighter Mk.31, Canadair CL-41 Tutor

Learn from the mistakes of others, only in FlightGear will you live long enough to make them all yourself.
owenpsmith

Version: 2020.3.11

Postby TheEagle » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:35 pm

30 - 40 FPS ? Oof, I'd be happy if I got 10 with everything at highest quality … :evil:
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
My other aircraft: my wiki profile !
Other: FGTools (GitHub)
World tour: View on SkyVector
Please consider donating $1 / €1 to help me finance a new camera !
TheEagle

Pronouns: You, he
Callsign: F-EAGLE
IRC name: none
Version: Git next

Postby Alant » Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:07 am

owenpsmith wrote in Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:10 am:I've now done a full uninstall and re-install of 2020.3.11 and everything works! I diffed the binary folders and there were no differences, but there were many differences between the .ini and the C:\Users\Owen\AppData\Roaming\flightgear.org folders between my previous installation of the same release, so it'd be very difficult to isolate the issue.

Owen.

Next time this happens, just delete files from the C:\Users\Owen\AppData\Roaming\flightgear.org folder. They will be rebuilt next time FG is run.
Start by deleting just C:\Users\Owen\AppData\Roaming\flightgear.org\Flightgear1Flightgear.ini and autosave_2020xxxx.xml.

Alan
Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: latest Git

Postby TheEagle » Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:43 pm

Note that if you delete the autosave file all your in-sim settings will be lost - i.e. you have to retune everything to your needs.
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
My other aircraft: my wiki profile !
Other: FGTools (GitHub)
World tour: View on SkyVector
Please consider donating $1 / €1 to help me finance a new camera !
TheEagle

Pronouns: You, he
Callsign: F-EAGLE
IRC name: none
Version: Git next

Previous

Return to Graphics