Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Dedicated GPU not used

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Dedicated GPU not used

Postby ole » Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:31 pm

Hi,
I have flightgear running on an ideapad 5 pro with the ryzen 5800h and GTX1650 with the latest manjaro KDE (xorg). It runs not that bad, however I realized that it does not use the dedicated GPU at all.
How can I make flightgear use the Nvidia graphics?
I am using the flatpak version.
ole

Re: Dedicated GPU not used

Postby wlbragg » Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:33 am

Usually it is in the computer setting which card to use for which program. My laptop (NVidia card) is cab[able of automatically changing according to necessity or manually with a hardware switch or software switch. This is on windows. Linux was a little harder, I had to install pop-linux. It configured it automagically as well and I think it has a software switch for manually changing it.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Re: Dedicated GPU not used

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:07 pm

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+switch+to+nvidia+gpu+on+manjaro+linux
TL;DR: use the prime-run utility to switch the GPU when FG is being started... this may mean adjusting the script or icon settings...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Graphics