Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Got FG on my ext. monitor, but mouse controls don't behave

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Got FG on my ext. monitor, but mouse controls don't behave

Postby csnizik » Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:20 pm

16 inch MacBook Pro running Big Sur 11.5.2
Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4GB
Two external monitors (HP 27f, 1920 x 1080)
FG Version 2020.3.11

Using the info in README.multiscreen, I've successfully gotten FG to display full screen on one of my external monitors.

I'm using a mouse, and as soon as I hit the Tab key to toggle into either flight control or view control, the cursor jumps down to the center of my laptop screen and I can't move it back onto the FG window. When I try to move it up onto the external monitor, it immediately jumps back down to the center of my laptop screen.

This is the preferences.xml file I'm using:

Code: Select all
<PropertyList>
  <sim>
    <rendering>
      <camera-group>
        <window>
          <name>FlightGear on 1</name>
          <display>0</display>
          <screen>1</screen>
          <fullscreen>true</fullscreen>
          <decoration>false</decoration>
          <x>0</x>
          <y>0</y>
          <host-name type="string"></host-name>
          <width>1920</width>
          <height>1080</height>
        </window>
        <camera>
          <window>
          </window>
        </camera>
        <gui>
          <window>
          </window>
        </gui>
      </camera-group>
    </rendering>
  </sim>
</PropertyList>
csnizik

Re: Got FG on my ext. monitor, but mouse controls don't beha

Postby csnizik » Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:56 pm

Figured this out
In case anyone else encounters this problem on a MacBook, here's what worked for me.

Go to System Preferences > Displays > Arrangement and relocate the menu bar from the laptop to whichever display you're trying to run FlightGear on. (You relocate the menu bar by grabbing the white strip that is across the top of one of the displays and dragging it onto another display.) Then I had to go into my preferences.xml file and change the <screen> from 1 to 0, since screen 0 is now the external monitor I'm trying to use. When I relaunched FlightGear, it was displaying on the correct monitor and when I hit TAB to cycle through mouse modes, the cursor remained on the correct monitor.

I'm not a MacBook hardware expert so I don't know the exact specifics of what's happening here, but it worked :)
csnizik

Re: Got FG on my ext. monitor, but mouse controls don't beha

Postby Dudeurodude » Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:18 pm

macbook running mojave 10.14.6
intel iris 1536 graphics
flightgear 2020.3.12

Sorry but i recently downloaded flightgear and got this problem. I can't seem to find my properties.xml file. I have searched everything. Even forums saying the name changed. If you could help me find it that would be very nice. Thanks

Dude
Dudeurodude

Return to Graphics