Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Problems reloading texture

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Problems reloading texture

Postby TheEagle » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:34 am

Hi,
I am trying to create a livery for my Cessna P210N, and until everything is in the right place and lines up across seams … well, that takes multiple "try and error" circuits. So right now I have to completely restart FlightGear to get my texture changes to show up. I would like to be able to reload the textures in-sim. I thought "Debugging -> Reload 3D model" would do that, also I remembered it to do this, but for some reason it has no effect. Of course I've made triple sure the paths are all matching. Whatever could I be doing wrong ?

And anyways, why is there no separate option to reload just the textures ? Especially with complex 3D models this would be very good I think.
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
My other aircraft: my wiki profile !
Other: FGTools (GitHub)
World tour: View on SkyVector
Please consider donating $1 / €1 to help me finance a new camera !
TheEagle

Pronouns: You, he
Callsign: F-EAGLE
IRC name: none
Version: Git next

Re: Problems reloading texture

Postby TheEagle » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:54 am

Actually I have found a solution for now - simply look at the textured model in Blender instead of in FG ! :mrgreen: But I would still like to know why this doesn't work.
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
My other aircraft: my wiki profile !
Other: FGTools (GitHub)
World tour: View on SkyVector
Please consider donating $1 / €1 to help me finance a new camera !
TheEagle

Pronouns: You, he
Callsign: F-EAGLE
IRC name: none
Version: Git next

Postby Husky Dynamics » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:58 am

I generally follow these steps (not super efficient but it works):

1. Open FlightGear to check change(s) to livery
2. While leaving FlightGear running, make any corrections regarding the change(s); re-save the texture file
3. Switch to a different livery in-sim
4. Wait 30 seconds to a minute or so (seems to vary between aircraft for some reason, the B-25 in particular only taking probably 15 seconds or so)
5. Switch back to the livery I'm working on

It's a rather weird method but it seems to work. I do agree that there should be just a "reload textures" option as well, it would make this so much simpler!
Get my custom FG liveries here: https://flightgearhusky.altervista.org/

I'm off at college so I've stopped making liveries (for the time being, at least), but I'm continuing to ensure compatibility for the ones I've already published.
Husky Dynamics

Version: LTS

Postby Hooray » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:07 pm

Husky Dynamics wrote in Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:58 am: I do agree that there should be just a "reload textures" option as well, it would make this so much simpler!

it's best to file feature requests here: https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/codetickets/
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Return to Graphics