Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Weird black moving lines on ALS water effects

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Weird black moving lines on ALS water effects

Postby TheEagle » Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:26 pm

I simply love ALS's water effects and always put them to High, but look what I got:
The worst is - these black lines are moving ! I experienced this at SAWH, but I also got this elsewhere, but not everywhere, I think.

I am posting this in the hope that anyone else experiencing this very ugly issue will find this topic and eventually be able to resolve it the same way I did. Moderators, maybe it would make sense to pin this to the top of the Graphics forum ?

Anyways, the bug was solved by installing the proprietary drivers. Here is some information about my system / settings:
  • Graphics card: nVidia GeForce 520
  • FG version: 2020.4.0 AppImage
  • Renderer: ALS
  • Water effects: High
  • Terrain quality: Medium
  • System: Ubuntu Studio 20.04 LTS
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • Graphics driver: open-source system default (Nouveau)

I solved the bug by installing the proprietary drivers for my graphics card version 390:
Code: Select all
~$ sudo apt install nvidia-driver-390

IMPORTANT: do not try to install a version different from 390 - that does not work for the 520 graphics card, and if you afterwards install the 390 driver version, you get a black screen when you should get a login screen. To fix this, you will then have to reinstall your OS. At least that was my experience - this does not necessarily apply to other Ubuntu versions.
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
My other aircraft: my wiki profile !
Other: FGTools (GitHub)
World tour: View on SkyVector
Please consider donating $1 / €1 to help me finance a new camera !
TheEagle

Pronouns: You, he
Callsign: F-EAGLE
IRC name: none
Version: Git next

Re: Weird black moving lines on ALS water effects

Postby V12 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:03 pm

Do not use crappy open source Nouveau for any nVidia, 2D stability is OK, but all other is nightmare. Install nVidia proprietary linux driver is my first step after Linux install / reinstall.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby TheEagle » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:48 pm

Well, I was able to run FG with it, but I had to be happy when I got 10 FPS … I was already trying to install the proprietary drivers for a long time, but without success - they simply didn't work. I read somewhere a kernel upgrade could do the trick which broke my whole system, and which I couldn't fix, so I had to reinstall the whole OS (where I was lucky, very lucky to have kept my old OS aside, so I could just boot into that). After that, I didn't touch the thing for a while afraid to break my system again (I ran Nouveau all the time, meaning the CPU was emulating a GPU) and because I was angry because I had wasted at least 15 hours on getting the drivers to work. Recently, I had enough of the stuttering and told myself, "now I will try for the very last time", and because I still had a fresh OS install without having messed with it before, I actually succeeded ! :) But with a very powerful CPU and enough RAM, one can perfectly run FG with the open-source drivers. Only with a 2 GHz CPU and 4 GB RAM like I have it … what do you expect.
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
My other aircraft: my wiki profile !
Other: FGTools (GitHub)
World tour: View on SkyVector
Please consider donating $1 / €1 to help me finance a new camera !
TheEagle

Pronouns: You, he
Callsign: F-EAGLE
IRC name: none
Version: Git next

Postby V12 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:16 am

My LUbuntu 20.04 has option Additional Drivers with choice between Nouveau, older tested and stable proprietary driver and new driver. I used older driver and was satisfied, even on old GTX750.
For me, Nouveau was source of the graphics problems in FGFS, Blender and ShotCut video editor. For example, on i5-2550K at 3.4 GHz with Nouveau I had 3-4 fps in FurMark test, with nVidia 30-40. FG ran poorly, 10 fps with strong stutters. GLMark same - Nouveau around 300 points, nVidia over 7000.
Probably I had luck with nVidia, everytime worked perfectly.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Return to Graphics