Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

version 2020.3.9 bad frame rate with some planes

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

version 2020.3.9 bad frame rate with some planes

Postby agathosdaimon » Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:43 pm

Hi - can anyone tell me if something has changed with FG since 2020.3.6 that now would be causing the game that massively drop in frames?
I have an ASUS Rog laptopm with 16gb ram and i7 2.50ghz 2gb gfx 860m - its an older laptopm from 2014, but it still runs new games well enough and i had no problems with Flightgear 2020.3.6

now however with some particular aircraft: the "Airbus family" models that one can download in the main menu, - when i select one of those to fly, the game runs at what seems like 5 fps. For other aircraft it seems fine - what is going on here? Is because the Airbus family aircraft are more complex? has something about this changed wince 2020.3.6?
agathosdaimon

Re: version 2020.3.9 bad frame rate with some planes

Postby V12 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:16 am

A320family is most complex airliner in FG and in this case singlecore performance of Your 2.5 GHz CPU is not enough. FG has ancient singlethreaded core and can't utilize modern multicore CPUs. On my machine all FG versions 2019.X.Y and 2020.X.Y run worse than P3Dv4.5 (and 5.2 is even better).
There is another problem and not only A320. All aircrafts with navigation displays are affected and start stutters badly, when You load too complicated flightplan with many legs. Good test is for example flight from Kathmandu rwy 20 IGRIS departures and Paro destination STAR SUBSU and RNAV ARP approaches to 33 or 15. Same problem is with STAR TASHI and approaches RNAV ARP 33 or 15. Both approaches have many waypoints and probably overload NASAL CANVAS system driving NAV displays.

You can try lower refresh rate for displays in cockpit, this option is somewhere in the menu. Try use 10 fps for all displays, it should help.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:19 pm

If you notice this with many aircraft you should report this on the bug tracker.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby V12 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:51 am

This is very long and good known issue. Many developers wrote looong scientific posts how is impossible move NASAL from main loop to the dedicated thread. Now, I use FG only very rare and this issue doesn't bother me. I leave bugtracker reports to the regular users.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby Thorsten » Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:53 am

Many developers wrote looong scientific posts how is impossible move NASAL from main loop to the dedicated thread.

As every so often, you just spread some half-knowledge. I seriously doubt that many developers explain you how it's impossible to move Nasal to a dedicated thread for the simple reason that this is part of the Nasal function library (it's what the thread.newthread() function does).

In fact, we're actually using that function in the Shuttle for trajectory predictions.

So it's not a question of whether this is possible, but rather of how this needs to be done - basically the cross-talk between 'Nasal thread' and 'the rest' needs to be organized carefully.

But why bother with how things really are if you find yet another opportunity to talk down on FG? (Why are you still here by the way - you're announced your exit from FG and your move to a commercial product at least a dozen times here...)
Thorsten

Postby GinGin » Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:46 pm

I leave bugtracker reports to the regular users.

Easier than to do something about the thing you have been complaining about for years ;)
GinGin

Callsign: Gingin

Return to Graphics