Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

AMD/Intel hybrid graphics

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

AMD/Intel hybrid graphics

Postby hibert » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:30 pm

Hello, my name is Eric and I would like to introduce myself first. Flight Sims are not completely new to me, but I just started with flight gear.
On my main PC I use an older Nvidia card and an Intel CPU. I use all of that under arch linux without any problems. my old GTX 960 doesn't cause any problems with the nvidia proprietary driver.

However, my laptop uses an Intel / Amd hybrid solution. when I start flight gear normally, the integrated intel iGPU is used for rendering. for a better performance i want flight gear to use the amd graphics.
other programs using it with "DRI_PRIME = 1" but the flight gear GUI just stop loading after a few seconds.

The GPU is a AMD R5 M330 and I use the open source "amdgpu" kernel module. any idea what I'm doing wrong? many thanks for your help
hibert

Version: 2020.3.8-1

Re: AMD/Intel hybrid graphics

Postby danielHL » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:08 pm

HI,

on my development machine / laptop I use the same setup: amd gpu with opensource driver and integrated intel card. For me, prepending fgfs with DRI_PRIME=1 works fine. Can you run glxinfo with prime and see the correct renderer mentioned? Can you run other 3d applications with prime? In some rare cases (when something goes wrong inside fgfs) the prime/amdgpu driver locks up and I have to restart my system to get it working again. In this hung state I also experience lockups of the gui just after startup.

You should also try to run fgfs from the command line to see any debug output in case something is wrong with your flightgear. Newest kernel and fgfs version should be used without question...
danielHL / D-FMPW
danielHL

Callsign: D-FMPW
Version: next

Postby V12 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:37 pm

Check Your BIOS settings, should be possible to disable integrated GPU. Few years ago I had laptop Dell Precission M4600 with some i5 and AMD FirePro GPU (Radeon 5950). For any OpenGL usage I must had disabled integrated GPU, in other case OpenGL app allways crashed.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby hibert » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:41 pm

thank you both for your feedback

V12 wrote in Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:37 pm:Check Your BIOS settings, should be possible to disable integrated GPU.

unfortunately it is a hp device with a very limited oem bios. no option for that, have already checked this option.

danielHL wrote in Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:08 pm: Can you run glxinfo with prime and see the correct renderer mentioned?

yes, it shows up as it shud be.
:arrow: OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon (TM) R5 M330 (HAINAN, DRM 3.40.0, 5.11.13-zen1-1-zen, LLVM 11.1.0)

i testet DRI_PRIME=1 also with glxgears without problems. that's why i believed the driver is okay and its a flight gear problem.
testing direct after boot ends with same resault. just to make shure its not a rare case :x
even xrandr --listproviders showing me that the device is using the correct kernel modul. in my case amdgpu not radeon

:?
hibert

Postby danielHL » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:54 pm

Okay, so the driver works. What version of FG are you using and where did you get it from? Is there any log or console output just before the freeze?

Also please check dmesg or the kernel log, you could grep that to "amdgpu" if it's not immediately clear...

Is it possible some other process is already using the GPU?
danielHL / D-FMPW
danielHL

Postby hibert » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:41 pm

TY
the last output before the freeze
Code: Select all
37.67 [WARN]:general    Enabling ATI/AMD viewport hack

version is 2020.3.8-1 from the AUR. :arrow: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/flightgear/?O=20&PP=10
i tried a start over the launcher. but still frezze with the same output in console after klicking on "fly".i still review the log stuff
hibert

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:42 pm

danielHL wrote in Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:54 pm:Is it possible some other process is already using the GPU?

this should not be a problem... i regularly have more than one graphics app running... the other day it was No Man's Sky, youtube, and twitch all at the same time and on the same (4K) monitor... used to be able to put FG in there, too, but something weird has happened about that recently... not sure if that is a driver problem or newer compositor related code problem, tho...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby danielHL » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:59 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:42 pm:
danielHL wrote in Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:54 pm:Is it possible some other process is already using the GPU?

this should not be a problem... i regularly have more than one graphics app running... the other day it was No Man's Sky, youtube, and twitch all at the same time and on the same (4K) monitor... used to be able to put FG in there, too, but something weird has happened about that recently... not sure if that is a driver problem or newer compositor related code problem, tho...

Okay, but also with a hybrid GPU? I remember distantly that certain GPU switching implementations don't take too kindly to share the GPU with multiple applications.

@hibert: were there any recent kernel or opengl updates on your system recently? IIRC AUR does not guarantee compatibility if core changes happen, right? Maybe you could try building FG yourself?
danielHL / D-FMPW
danielHL

Postby Hooray » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:06 pm

To use a dedicated AMD/ATI GPU on Linux, look for "primusrun" and/or "prime-select" to start the whole desktop or just fgfs that way.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby danielHL » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:40 pm

primusrun seems to be for shared nvidia GPUs and prime-select switches the entire GPU on/off. The op obviously has the driver and the switching part figured out, otherwise he couldn't run "DRI_PRIM=1 glxinfo" with the correct result. It seems to me like an issue with the opengl/osg/fgfs pipeline or a driver crash. Again, this would show up in dmesg or the kernel log - can you have a look at them, hibert?
danielHL / D-FMPW
danielHL

Postby Hooray » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:46 pm

To see if it's OSG specific, try any of the OSG examples/demos (or osgviewer/fgviewer standalone).
However, first of all, ensure that other OpenGL software works properly.

There's also dedicated OpenGL benchmarks that you could try, i.e. other than just running glxgears :lol:
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby V12 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:35 am

Try Furmark, it is far better.
V12

Postby Hooray » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:07 am

V12 wrote in Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:35 am:Try Furmark, it is far better.

Last I checked, FurMark3D was Windows-only, while the OP is on Linux.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby V12 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:52 am

Exists for Linux, too :
https://www.geeks3d.com/gputest/
V12

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:43 am

that's from 2014... anything newer?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Next

Return to Graphics