Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Will FlightGear run properly on my laptop?

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Will FlightGear run properly on my laptop?

Postby PastryFliez » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:23 am

Hey everyone, I've just downloaded FlightGear, but I'm unsure if it will run on my low(ish)-end laptop.

Specs:

- Intel Core i5-8265U CPU@1.6GHz
- 8G RAM, 7.82G usable
- Intel UHD Graphics 620

As you can see, it's no gaming pc, and if flightgear can run, are there any graphics/rendering settings that will give the highest FPS, whilst also making it look descent?

Thx.
PastryFliez

Re: Will FlightGear run properly on my laptop?

Postby V12 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:16 am

With Intel UHD never. You need graphic card that support OpenGL.
Your machine can handle DirectX simulators, but not all.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby pb321 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:34 pm

You will never achieve great looking scenery at high frame rates, as @V12 has stated. I have two laptops close to those specs with Intel graphics HD 4000.. They barely run FlightGear with the C172 at small airports even if I keep settings fairly low, They are barely good enough for flying and with some stutters (maybe 9-11 fps). My cpus are slightly below yours. 2020.3.8 has been called the last version for low end macHines like the one you describe.
pb321

Version: 2020.4.0

Postby erik » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:50 pm

pb321 wrote in Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:34 pm: 2020.3.8 has been called the last version for low end macHines like the one you describe.

Not necessarily 2020.3.8 but the 2020.3 series which will be around, and updated, for a while.

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby V12 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:46 pm

For OSM and decent visibility limits You need very high end machine. Year ago I tested i7-9700K and GTX1080, with custom EDDF scenery or aircraft with navigation display and complicate SID, STAR and approach that CPU was not able fly without stutters :(
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby The epic chicken » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:33 am

PastryFliez wrote in Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:23 am:Hey everyone, I've just downloaded FlightGear, but I'm unsure if it will run on my low(ish)-end laptop.

Specs:

- Intel Core i5-8265U CPU@1.6GHz
- 8G RAM, 7.82G usable
- Intel UHD Graphics 620

As you can see, it's no gaming pc, and if flightgear can run, are there any graphics/rendering settings that will give the highest FPS, whilst also making it look descent?

Thx.

i have the same pc specs
only difference in the ram
of which i hvae 4GB
but flightgear runs pretty well
In Thrust We Trust
The epic chicken

Callsign: cva1920
Version: 2020.3.9

Return to Graphics