Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Graphics board drivers etc.

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Graphics board drivers etc.

Postby peterg1000 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:06 pm

I'm about to build a dedicated system to be used solely for Flight sim. I would like to take the plunge into Ubuntu but am worried about the availability of drivers for graphics cards - in particular I am starting with a modesr MSI Radeon R7 240 2GD3.

I assume that windows drivers and OpenGL from Win XP/7/10 are not applicable.

Can someone please enlighten me on this subject as my ignorance is profound!!
peterg1000

Re: Graphics board drivers etc.

Postby V12 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:42 pm

Again, if You can, avoid AMD GPUs, especialy on Linux. OpenSource driver is poor, AMDGPU driver direct from AMD is not very good too. nVidia is much better solution. With AMD GPUs I have only bad experiences.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby CaptB » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:04 pm

Funny, my RX580 works like a charm, under linux, with the foss driver (yes it needs switching the UI theme and multithreading should be uncommented in defaults.xml to fix the garbled splash screen)
Ongoing projects(3D modelling): A320, MD-11, A350, B767
FG767: https://fg767.wordpress.com/
CaptB

Callsign: EKCH_AP
IRC name: CaptB
Version: next

Postby V12 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:09 pm

multithreading, garbled screen, UI switch, hmm, if it is like charm, hmmm, hmmm.
V12

Postby CaptB » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:25 am

V12 wrote in Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:09 pm:multithreading, garbled screen, UI switch, hmm, if it is like charm, hmmm, hmmm.

Is the out of the box situation optimal? No. Is it such a big problem, as you are trying to paint it to be? No. Doing it ONCE after installation and forgetting about it is no big deal for anyone who can open a text editor.

You really seem to be the kind of person who always sees the glass always half empty, cheer up man.
CaptB

Postby V12 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:14 am

It is only BFU point of the view. For me, not problem.
Check this forum for graphics problems and You will see, which GPU is troublemaker. And why user should buy potential troblemaking GPU ?
V12

Postby CaptB » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:26 am

V12 wrote in Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:14 am:It is only BFU point of the view. For me, not problem.
Check this forum for graphics problems and You will see, which GPU is troublemaker. And why user should buy potential troblemaking GPU ?

Well, that's interesting, because you see I used to have a nvidia in my system and every time i apt-upgraded the kernel the nvidia blob driver would fail and I would have to go through some gymnastics to make X11 work again, so it wasn't all unicorns and rainbows either. Does that make the GPU bad? No, when it worked it worked fine (except for tearing)

At the end of the day, buying a GPU is a choice, not always a simple one since budget and other factors(like scalping) come into play. Claiming that it is some incredible problem to make AMD GPUs work correctly with flightgear is simply untrue, especially if the GPU is not the newest generation, which like any new hardware on linux can lag in support.
CaptB

Postby peterg1000 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:16 pm

Guys - I hear all your comments and am rather alarmed that some degree of black magic has to be deployed to get graphics cards operational.

Does this imply that there are no validated manufacturer drivers for Linux similat to the Win 7/8/10 versions. And how about "OpenGL" - is there an equivalent under Linux?

Just get the feeling that selecting Ubuntu as an OS is opening a large can of worms that the inexperienced, like me, would struggle with.
peterg1000

Postby danielHL » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:44 pm

The closed-source NVidia driver is pretty stable. Never had any issue with it, it always worked after every update. On the other hand the fglrx-driver (amd/ati) never worked at all, although the free driver is comparatively very powerful for amd. I run amd on my laptop and it works sort of okay for debugging and developing. For flying and having fun: chose NVidia at all cost!
danielHL / D-FMPW
danielHL

Callsign: D-FMPW

Return to Graphics