Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

How to share liveries?

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

How to share liveries?

Postby gryffie » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:03 pm

Hi people

I recently created or more like "adapted" (whether that's allowed or not) a couple of aircraft liveries that I would like to make freely available to anyone who wants to use it.

Admittedly I did not create these from scratch but instead I used existing liveries as templates. For one of the aircraft (lets call it example A) I created an entirely new livery from an existing livery (i.e. nothing of the original design remained) and for the other two aircraft (let's call it example B) I literally only changed the airline logo and a few other details but kept the panel layout and some detailing from the original livery.

I currently employ the above liveries for personal use only BUT (1.) am I allowed to share these liveries; (2.) how do I share them and (3.) I am not sure whether or not to credit or how to credit the original artist especially in the case of examples B (above)?

For that matter what exactly are the legal implications, if any, regarding the use of the various airline logo's and/or military markings?

Thanks
-G
gryffie

Callsign: G-OGGA
IRC name: G-OGGA

Re: How to share liveries?

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:04 pm

1) Presuming the original livery is under the GNU GPL 2.0 license you certainly may share them under the same license!

2) You would be best to contact the author of the aircraft for which you made a livery. If they're no longer around, then you could alternatively upload them to a site such as GitHub and share the link. In that case, you would want to make sure to include the terms of the GPL with it to make it clear how the liveries are licensed (and preferrably upload the source .xcf file as well).

3) There is no strict requirement but it's always nice to do -- you could include a text file with your liveries mentioning them?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Re: How to share liveries?

Postby gryffie » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:23 pm

Thanks for your replies guys, you've been extremely helpful!

:D
gryffie

Callsign: G-OGGA
IRC name: G-OGGA

Return to Graphics