Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Opaque Windshields/Canopies

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Opaque Windshields/Canopies

Postby Husky Dynamics » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:29 am

With the 2020.3.4 release, it appears that a few of Helijah's aircraft in FGAddon have fallen victim to a bug where their windows/windshields/canopies become completely opaque (usually a shade of brown or gray) from both the inside and outside, which (obviously) prohibits flying from any of the interior views. Does anyone know the cause of this bug (and/or how to fix), and have you experienced it?

2020.3.5 is also affected, but prior versions seem fine (?)

Affected aircraft that I've found so far:
    De Havilland DH 89
    Yak 18 T
    Fairchild C119
    SAAB Jas 39 Gripen
    B 24 Liberator
Note that not all of Helijah's aircraft in FGAddon are affected by this, e.g. the C130, Stampe SV4, and Dassault/Dornier Alphajet (among most others) still work fine.
Last edited by Husky Dynamics on Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:41 am, edited 5 times in total.
Get my custom FG liveries here: https://flightgearhusky.altervista.org/

I'm off at college so I've stopped making liveries (for the time being, at least), but I'm continuing to ensure compatibility for the ones I've already published.
Husky Dynamics

Version: LTS

Re: Opaque Windshields/Canopies in 2020.3.4

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:35 pm

Are you using Rembrandt, ALS, or Compositor?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Re: Opaque Windshields/Canopies in 2020.3.4

Postby Husky Dynamics » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:54 pm

I'm using the ALS renderer for the most part, but it appears to do this with any renderer.

I'm off at college so I've stopped making liveries (for the time being, at least), but I'm continuing to ensure compatibility for the ones I've already published.
Husky Dynamics

Re: Opaque Windshields/Canopies

Postby Husky Dynamics » Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:41 am

Update: Still occurring with all rendering engines on 2020.3.9. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Husky Dynamics

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:07 pm

Husky Dynamics wrote in Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:29 am:Affected aircraft that I've found so far:
    De Havilland DH 89
    Yak 18 T
    Fairchild C119
    SAAB Jas 39 Gripen
    B 24 Liberator

i've just tested the SVN trunk version of these craft on the latest FG next branch code... i saw no problems with any of them seeing into or out of the cockpit in any view... the code that my update process uses to pull FGAddon is
Code: Select all
cd ~/myflightgear/fgaddon
svn checkout svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/flightgear/fgaddon/trunk .
i don't know anything about pulling any other branches of FGAddon from SVN...

this positive report about being able to see in and out of the craft doesn't mean that there are no other problems with the craft, though... some aren't finding one or two nasal symbols, at least one isn't finding one of it nasal files, and at least one is trying to call an uncallable object... all of these are nasal problems and should not affect the 3D model or the rendering...

for my testing, i started the sim from the launcher with the each of the specified craft and loaded in at the same airport and startup position... i only looked around from within the cockpit using the right mouse button and dragging around and then switching to the outside helicopter view and rotating around the craft to look at the front... nothing was amiss that i could tell... at least nothing with the glass... i completely exited the sim between each test...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Husky Dynamics » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:46 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:07 pm:i've just tested the SVN trunk version of these craft on the latest FG next branch code... i saw no problems with any of them seeing into or out of the cockpit in any view...

Interesting. I'm on the 2020.x hangar rather than the trunk one, I'll have a look at that and give it a try.

Here's some pictures of what I'm seeing (specifically with the Yak 18, but it's the same with the others):

EDIT: Aircraft in the trunk version look to be fixed, so I'll stick with those until the 2020.x ones get updated. Thanks for the help!

Husky Dynamics

Return to Graphics