Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Graphics problem with AMD Vega 8

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Graphics problem with AMD Vega 8

Postby CRJ900 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:43 am

Hi there,

I am new here in this forum because I have a graphics problem which I can't solve myself.
I know there are several threads about the (in)compability of AMD GPUs but the solutions there didnt help me. :|

So its like this: I can start Flightgear 2020.3.2 normal and the menu opens. After selecting everything the loading screen appears but with just different colours. I cant even see the pic. After a while FG loads the scenery but I cant see the text on the menu bar. I used the option: --prop:/sim/gui/current-style=0 . That helped me to see the menu, but some textures can't be loaded in the aircraft and I have very low FPS, which makes it unplayable.

My system is AMD Ryzen 5 CPU with Vega 8 Graphics. I have 8GB DDR4 RAM and an 512GB SSD.
I played FG on my old laptop which is 12 year old with a Intel Core 2 Duo CPU with 2 Ghz and Nvidia GeForce 9300M G and only 3GB DDR2 RAM and 320GB HDD but it worked a lot better there. Just low FPS (but mich better than now) with high-detailed aircrafts.
And yes, all new graphic drivers are installed. My new notebook is just 2 month old, and everything else works perfectly fine.

Thank you for your support and sorry for my bad english, I am from Germany
CRJ 900
CRJ900

Re: Graphics problem with AMD Vega 8

Postby miguel » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:08 pm

Hello.
two things.
1-- Click on Debug, GUY style cycle.
2-- you need radeon-SOFTWARE-Adrenalin 2020-20.11.1

i have radeon-vega 8 graphics and it works very well

I hope this helps you
greetings:miguel
miguel

Postby CRJ900 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:23 pm

Thanks, where do I find this options ?
CRJ900

Postby Maerchenprinz » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:06 pm

Hi CRJ!

I think miguel means the menu item "Debug" -> "Cycle GUI", which is probably the menu item "Fehlersuche" -> "GUI Stil" (oder so ähnlich...) in your FG; you already did that by adding the --prop: stuff, which has obviously worked!
I'm sorry, I can't help you with that other problem, no AMD here...
Btw., your English looks perfect to me, but I'm german, too, so... :)

Tschüss,

Adrian

EDIT: I forgot to mention: it would be really helpful if you say which OS and what console output you have (if any).
Maerchenprinz

Callsign: Adrian

Postby CRJ900 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:28 pm

Ok I have installed the Radeon Software, but I already had an smaller AMD Graphics software installed by default. I didnt change anything there, and in FG the textures loaded. I dont know why, because I didnt chnage anything in the game, just installed the graphics software.
But I think, I still have low FPS... worse than with my 12 years old Nvidia GeForce 9300M G. maybe some settings ?

I will try an other aircraft now.
Thanks for this solution.

CRJ 900

And yes: I wrote in the first post about my system. I have installed Windows 10 Home 20H2. My laptop is a Huawei Matebook D14.
CRJ900

Postby miguel » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:32 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiG9WR8RBjg

Hello. If you've already downloaded, Adrenalin.
follow this tutorial that will help you a lot then tell me about it.
only with the download you see the improvement, trust me.
greetings ; miguel
i am waiting for your answer
miguel

Postby Maerchenprinz » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:56 pm

@miguel: I hope you notice that the whole video is in Spanish! :wink:
@CRJ900: I hope las instrucciones helped, otherwise my last guess is that FG uses the wrong ("onboard") graphics card on your new laptop.

Good luck!
Maerchenprinz

Callsign: Adrian

Postby miguel » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:03 pm

if I'm sorry, it's true.
anyway it is possible that I will help you
miguel

Postby CRJ900 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:36 pm

Hey, thank you for that. I have installed the Radeon software. I will try if other performance hungry aircrafts now too, and give feedback here.
CRJ900

Postby CRJ900 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:12 pm

Sorry for my silly question.
I think there are no texture bugs anymore.
The white buttons are normal when the light is off or arn't they white in your A320 ?
CRJ900

Postby miguel » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:53 pm

Hello CRJ.900
I hope that the Adrenaline Software has served you well.

Greetings: miguel
miguel

Postby jayinatlanta » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:40 am

For what it's worth, I'm having the same problem with my HP Envy X360 with the same config the OP mentioned. This is with v. 2020.3 (8) as well as .6 before that.
Load screens are pixelated, menu is gray and no words show (you have to guess at the options).
The only thing I can add is that it absolutely has to do with Atmospheric Light Scattering. If you manage to find the View > Rendering options and turn that off, the problem goes away.
Also, the AMD Adrenalin software has no effect I can see on the game. I've tried all the options, simple, advanced, and specific game profiles, and they do no good - ALS always causes the menu to go away and be unusable.
jayinatlanta

Postby WoodSTokk » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:18 pm

Start FG with the following parameter:
Code: Select all
--prop:/sim/gui/current-style=0
WoodSTokk

Callsign: OE-WST
IRC name: WoodSTokk
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby Hooray » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:34 pm

jayinatlanta wrote in Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:40 am:The only thing I can add is that it absolutely has to do with Atmospheric Light Scattering. If you manage to find the View > Rendering options and turn that off, the problem goes away.

Unfortunately, it's a little more complicated than that. FlightGear used to be based on OpenGL, and the FlightGear GUI engine (called PUI) is also based on OpenGL, unfortunately it is based on a really outdated/old version of OpenGL. Back in 2006, some core developers began porting FlightGear to stop using OpenGL directly and instead use a higher level wrapper library, called OpenSceneGraph (OSG).
Without having to touch a ton of existing legacy code, such legacy code needed to be wrapped in helpers to make them compatible with the way OSG wants things done.

ALS however is using more modern OpenGL code, in fact it's using a technology called GLSL that simply wasn't around when most of the FlightGear code base (and PUI itself!) were written.

That is why there's some "interference" when using modern OpenGL code in conjunction with legacy rendering code.

The long-standing workaround has been to use a different default style for the GUI.

Apart from that, there's an ongoing effort to port/re-target the built-in GUI using QtQuick/Qt5 initiated back in 2016:

https://wiki.flightgear.org/FlightGear_ ... and_status
Replace the plib GUI with Qt. This will improve the maintainability of the GUI as well as being visually more appealing. At the same time, allow the GUI to be run in a separate window from the main simulator. This is of particular interest for multi-screen applications.

In accordance with the FlightGear 4.xx Roadmap, FlightGear's current graphical interface (based on the PUI library of PLIB) will be replaced by one based on Qt. In addition, a browser-based UI (called Phi) will continue to be developed in parallel.

n October 2014, Apple released OS X 10.10 Yosemite. Unfortunately, one of the frameworks the old FlightGear Mac launcher relied upon, called RubyCocoa This is a link to a Wikipedia article, was removed, making it incompatible with OS X Yosemite. James Turner started work on a solution for the then-upcoming 3.4 release. He added a simple built-in launcher using Qt, run before the main window would be created. It was released with FlightGear 3.4 as a Mac-only feature.

After FlightGear 3.4, it was decided to that this temporary Mac-only launcher would be developed into a replacement for FGRun and that it would become part of the plan for updating the FlightGear user interface. In FlightGear 3.6, it became available for all platforms, and has continued to be developed, enhanced, and refined.

As of May 2016, the Qt launcher is under active development. This includes the adding of new features, fixing bugs, and refining existing features.

As of mid 2016, the Qt UI is now also available at runtime; however, this needs a lot of testing, but aircraft can be installed / changed and location adjusted from within the sim. After some number of times the sim will crash.

however, a number of senior core devs were opposed to the idea of making Qt5 a mandatory build requirement, so that this work has to remain optional, i.e. cannot be expected to be available in all builds unfortunately.

Furthermore, using Qt5 in conjunction with OSG has unfortunately its own potential technical issues according to the OSG project lead Robert Osfield himself :

Robert Osfield wrote:https://groups.google.com/d/msg/osg-use ... SD3DlPAAAJ
The threading models that the OSG
provides reflect this, enabling threading of the update, event and
cull traversals in parallel with the draw thread. This is all
possible with a Qt based viewer, but different versions of Qt add
their own caveates/problems. If you care a about full screen
real-time performance then Qt probably isn't the best tool to use,
native osgViewer based viewer will work much better, but if you need
the 2D GUI elements that Qt provides then you'll need to jump through
the extra hoops that Qt throws into the mix.

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/osg-use ... _2gPlZAwAJ
Unfortunately Qt has created a
series of problems on the threading front that we've had to try and
work around, Qt then goes and moves the goal posts though between
releases. it's been a real pain to try and keep osgQt working well
over the years. If you don't need a traditional 2D UI then it's
generally best to avoid Qt as it causes problems because it has it's
way of working that doesn't fit well with the needs of real-time
visualization.

Thus, in the meantime, the most reliable workaround is to simply use a different GUI style or use Phi.
(And it might in fact make sense doing that automatically during init if the gl-vendor string contains an AMD substring, since it's such a recurring issue obviously)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby jayinatlanta » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:58 am

Hey thanks a lot for that very informative detail!
jayinatlanta

Return to Graphics