Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

What settings should I use for graphics/how do I change?

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

What settings should I use for graphics/how do I change?

Postby ukesilkeris6 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:22 am

I am new to FlightGear(and just flight sims as a whole), and I'm struggling to find out how to change most of the settings. On top of that, I am looking for recommendations for graphics to help performance(I get about 10-15 FPS but I'd like to have at least 20). I'll put useful info below. Feel free to ask for anymore info.

PC specs:

CPU: AMD FX-6300

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 560

RAM: 8GB
10.0.0.0.1 192.168.1.254 happymod

Settings that I know I have on FlightGear that I think are useful:

Rendering: Default

Ant-aliasing: Off

Download scenery automatically: On
Last edited by ukesilkeris6 on Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
ukesilkeris6

Re: What settings should I use for graphics/how do I change?

Postby danielHL » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:23 pm

Hi,

I can't say anything about AMD graphics, never owned any. There are some tips around some settings that will improve AMD performance in FG.

First thing to get better looking results is to switch the renderer from default to ALS (atmospheric light scattering) and enable some anti-aliasing (2x should be enough). Then try the in-sim rendering options for shader levels. adjust till you're happy with the framerate. Biggest framerate hit is usually the overlay shader.

Cheers,
Daniel
danielHL / D-FMPW
danielHL

Callsign: D-FMPW
Version: next

Return to Graphics