Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Changing UAV Camera View to Black & White

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Changing UAV Camera View to Black & White

Postby Stevenj279 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:42 pm

I'm looking at the how the camera views in UAVs (ATI-Resolution, MQ-9, etc.) render the sensor ball view. I don't see an option to switch from color to black & white - Can the RGB values be changed in the aircraft's view options, and what might the settings be? Some have NVG, but I've not seen anything for EO/IR, which is very common. Thanks in advance!
Williamsburg, VA
Win 7 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-4700MQ 2.40 GHz
32 Gb Ram, 500 GB SSD, 2 TB SCSI HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M
Stevenj279

Re: Changing UAV Camera View to Black & White

Postby Johan G » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:47 pm

There is IR available, see for example the topic ALS night vision (and others) and the FlightGear wiki article ALS infrared vision. Keep in mind that this to some degree is a trick. Apart from calculations of thermal radiation from different landclasses (for the advanced weather simulation when it is in use) and assumptions about the sky most of it seem to be inverted color.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Thorsten » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:42 am

most of it seem to be inverted color.

That'd be because most of the time it really is (blackbody radiation for equilibrium emission works that way), but if you're interested in military applications, you can assign a temperature to your targets and the effect will render that temperature instead of a blackbody guess.

Needless to say, most objects do not have a temperature assigned though... 8)
Thorsten

Postby Stevenj279 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:21 am

Thanks Gents - I've been looking into how to possibly modify a 3D FG model's IR intensity to make it stand out more from the background in the IR shader.

I found the "delta-t" setting but not sure exactly where/how to use it. I'm not looking for a true IR rendering, just a way to tweak it a bit. The info I found doesn't give enough explanation - for example, where would the <delta-t> value go...which file(s)?

Also, as an aside, wonder if the values for the IR view could be made swappable, such as what's "hot" is reversed, same for "cold". This would then be IR "White Hot", and when reversed, "Black Hot", as is done for many IR sensors.
Williamsburg, VA
Stevenj279

Postby Hooray » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:43 am

We do have a residing math genius on the forum who happens to have a background (PhD) not only in physics, but also in effects/shader development - so he can probably tell you if it's feasible to configure a "shape", sections of "materials" (metal, wood, glass, fibre glass), sources of light/heat (sun, propulsion) and apply an effect to the whole shebang, Thorsten are you there ? :lol:
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Johan G » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:54 am

Hooray wrote in Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:43 am:Thorsten are you there ? :lol:

The post above the one you replied to. :wink:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Thorsten » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:13 pm

I found the "delta-t" setting but not sure exactly where/how to use it. I'm not looking for a true IR rendering, just a way to tweak it a bit. The info I found doesn't give enough explanation - for example, where would the <delta-t> value go...which file(s)?

Well, effects assume a basic familiarity with the effect syntax, so it refers to that - inside your model xml wrapper you can declare a derived effect (*.eff files usually) to apply to a surface, and the parameter goes into there (there's gazillions of aircraft using this principle, so examples are found aplenty).

Also, as an aside, wonder if the values for the IR view could be made swappable, such as what's "hot" is reversed, same for "cold". This would then be IR "White Hot", and when reversed, "Black Hot", as is done for many IR sensors.

In principle anything 'can' be made swappable, but unless you learn GLSL coding and do it or find someone else to implement it for you it won't happen, the current code doesn't support this (and I think it's an overkill...) . :D
Thorsten

Postby Hooray » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:29 pm

just curious, shouldn't swapping colors (between black/white) merely be the equivalent of applying a multiplication to invert the color (or using GL_BLEND), and if so, couldn't that be made configurable using a boolean property ??
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Stevenj279 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:34 am

I can understand that the need for a reversed version of IR as described would generally not be of much interest to the community. Just seems that there are circumstances/conditions where Black Hot is sometimes more effective. As mentioned, SAR operations (and potential training for it using FG) came immediately to mind...
Williamsburg, VA
Stevenj279

Postby Thorsten » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:04 am

What a developer hopes for: 'Cool, we have an IR mode already implemented out of the box!'
What a developer gets: 'I haven't got it working yet, but I really think this should have in addition this and that feature...'

So, apart from the quite motivating conversation, it's not terribly difficult to implement, but it just isn't implemented, and I have a newborn baby at home and very little time, so implementing a color swap doesn't even get onto my to-do list - if you want it, you'll have to get it to the status of a merge request, I'll handle that.
Thorsten

Postby Stevenj279 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:35 am

Thorsten - No worries... I understand what you mean.
Williamsburg, VA
Stevenj279

Return to Graphics