Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Flightgear very slow to look left and right

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Re: Flightgear very slow to look left and right

Postby wlbragg » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:35 pm

For the record preloading isn't something that I'm happy about because it is a hacky solution to a core problem.

I don't disagree, It is a hack. Like I said, it is not an elegant solution, but it is effective and front loads the textures during startup VS the first time you look in a new direction which messes with immersion. I added it to the J3 more as an experiment and left it as an option.
This biggest part of the hack is making it an option and the multi-variation aspects of the aircraft construction. Otherwise it would be a relatively short piece of code. All it does is cycle through all the views at startup. The ugly part is making sure every object that might be hidden at startup in not hidden during the view changes. Unfortunately, all the variant aspects of J3, P18, undercarriages and damage makes for many places in the code that need a "select" switch thrown during this view change.
It would be really nice to have the core do a pre-cache automatically.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:46 pm

wlbragg wrote in Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:35 pm:It would be really nice to have the core do a pre-cache automatically.

i can kinda agree with this but as an option due to memory consumption... imagine being set, as i am some times, with a LOD out to 370nm (the horizon at 35000feet) and the sim loading all of that scenery in all directions around you while you are on the ground...

personally, i still think that a variable set of LODs that grows as you gain altitude and shrinks as you descend would be a good thing but i think that would require a rework of the scenery loading system... i'm mainly speaking of only automatically changing rough and bare... detailed can remain set to like 2nm (3704m) and the other two grow upwards and down to minimals so as to load more the higher you go and dump stuff as you get lower... so yeah, the higher you go, the more memory you'll use instead of using it all from the start...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby wlbragg » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:49 pm

I actually not sure how much of the lag is scenery caching or model caching. In the case of the Cub the long delay during the first view changes I attribute mostly to model caching. Why, because it is the only aircraft that seems to have that long of a delay in changing views for the first time. The c172p, same basic setup and variants, doesn't seem to do that as much.

So I am talking about pre-caching the aircraft model at startup, not scenery.

Also note there are now lower res textures available in the livery of the Cub and they take less time to load during the view changes as well.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Previous

Return to Graphics