Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Urban shader  Topic is solved

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Urban shader

Postby montagdude » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:20 pm

From what I understand, the urban shader is supposed to make the urban landclass look like it contains actual 3D buildings. However, I can rarely get this effect to work. Most of the time, it is completely flat, which looks pretty unrealistic. I have tried on 2 different machines:

Thinkpad with Intel HD4000 graphics
Workstation with Nvidia Quadro card and Nvidia driver

On both machines, the only way I can get the urban shader to somewhat work is to turn off ALS and then turn the urban shader to 2. Increasing it beyond that flattens the texture again, and even turning it back to 2 again won't get the 3D effect back. I have to restart FlightGear to see it again. I have also seen a number of screenshots posted around the forum that seem to have the same flat urban landclass that I'm experiencing. Is this a graphics driver issue or maybe a bug? I am running FlightGear 2019.1.2. Can anyone confirm the behavior?

Thanks for the help!
montagdude

Re: Urban shader

Postby Thorsten » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:54 pm

Likely a graphics driver oddity.
Thorsten

Postby V12 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:16 pm

Have You disabled Buildings in Rendering options ? If You have Random or OSM selected, urban shader doesn't work.
I don't recommend urban shader. Much better (and faster) solution is set random building density to 3 or more via property tree /sim/rendering/random-building-density. Result is far better than with urban shader :

Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby montagdude » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:43 pm

V12 wrote in Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:16 pm:Have You disabled Buildings in Rendering options ? If You have Random or OSM selected, urban shader doesn't work.
I don't recommend urban shader. Much better (and faster) solution is set random building density to 3 or more via property tree /sim/rendering/random-building-density. Result is far better than with urban shader :
Ah, that was it. I must have missed that the urban shader doesn't work unless buildings are off. Thanks also for the recommendation to change random building density. I'll have to see if my computer can handle that. It seems to do okay with the urban shader.
montagdude

Postby V12 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:11 pm

If I remember correctly, on old graphics cards is basic geometry rendering much faster, than render simple geometry with advanced shading techniques. HD4000 (and all other Intel graphics) have poor performance under OpenGL.
I have one laptop with Quadro 1000M, other with K1000M, both can do better job with high density random buildings than urban shader. In desktop with GTX750 urban shader had bigger impact than random buildings. GTX 1060 is imune against heavy shading in FG, I did not observed fps drop with all shaders on max.
V12

Postby montagdude » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:24 pm

Thanks for the info. I've been thinking about getting an external GPU for my laptop (the aforementioned workstation isn't mine). Even a relatively low-end modern Nvidia card should give a lot better performance than what I get with Intel.
montagdude

Postby V12 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:10 am

Do not buy AMD cards, in my 2 laptops died 3 FirePro MX M5950 adapters and I know about next one in collegue laptop. Buy some NVidia.
V12

Postby montagdude » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:10 pm

V12 wrote in Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:10 am:Do not buy AMD cards, in my 2 laptops died 3 FirePro MX M5950 adapters and I know about next one in collegue laptop. Buy some NVidia.

Okay. I was planning on Nvidia anyway after reading about how AMD doesn't work well for FlightGear.
montagdude

Postby xen_steda » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:14 am

V12 wrote in Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:16 pm:set random building density to 3 or more via property tree /sim/rendering/random-building-density.

Hello, I would like to try this method but I cannot seem to find the options you are talking about. Are they in a different location other than View>Rendering Options?

Thanks!
xen_steda

Postby V12 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:31 am

This thing is not accessible direct via menu, You must start Internal property Browser (key "/") and find branch sim/rendering.
Please, someone upload image of the browser, I'm in the office.

EDIT :

V12

Postby xen_steda » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:30 am

Thank you for the help.
xen_steda

Return to Graphics