Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Anaglyph stereoscopic view not working well  Topic is solved

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Anaglyph stereoscopic view not working well

Postby montagdude » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:44 am

Hi,

This is my first post on this forum. I am trying to set up a "poor man's VR" using a small monitor mounted in front of my eyes and head tracking. I would like to use the anaglyph stereo mode too, but I am having some issues. I think it is due to the colors of my 3D glasses (well, actually light filters, as I haven't made them into glasses yet) combined with the colors that OpenSceneGraph uses for anaglyph mode. If I put the cyan filter over my right eye and close my left eye, I see only one image, so I think the cyan filter is working properly. However, if I do the opposite and look through the red filter with my left eye while closing my right eye, I still see both images, so I think the issue is my red filter. The end result is very little 3D effect and a lot of distracting ghost images -- basically, it's not usable.

I did a google search for anaglyph 3D images and found that my red filter performs much better with a lot of them than it does with FlightGear. So I'm curious if there is any way I could adjust the colors in OpenSceneGraph/FlightGear/my monitor to get better results. I did play with the white balance settings on my monitor, but I didn't really notice a significant difference either with turning the red up and blue down or vice versa. Just using the eye test, the red filter looks pretty plain red to me, but maybe it is slightly on the purple side as opposed to the orange side. Alternatively, does anyone have a suggestion for a brand of 3D glasses or light filters that works well for you?
montagdude

Re: Anaglyph stereoscopic view not working well

Postby montagdude » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:00 am

Just as an example, the following image looks pretty good with my light filters. There is a slight ghost image, but it is not distracting, and the 3D effect is very clear.

If I could somehow get FlightGear to do the anaglyph images with this color output, I think it would be totally usable. I don't even mind digging into the source code if needed.
montagdude

Postby Icecode GL » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:47 am

I don't think OpenSceneGraph exposes the colors of anaglyph stereo as parameters (see the DisplaySettings API). You might have better luck asking on their mail list or modifying the OSG source.
Icecode GL

Callsign: icecode
Version: GIT

Postby montagdude » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:12 am

Icecode GL wrote in Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:47 am:I don't think OpenSceneGraph exposes the colors of anaglyph stereo as parameters (see the DisplaySettings API). You might have better luck asking on their mail list or modifying the OSG source.

Thanks for the info. I took a quick peak in the source code, and I think I found where it does the red and cyan mask, but it wasn't readily apparent whether the definitions of the colors could actually be adjusted. I also have been testing my light filters with some more pictures and videos out there, and I think they're just not that good. Many of them are better than my results with FlightGear, but even then there's a lot of ghosting and color artifacts. I think I will just order some actual 3D glasses, which will hopefully work better.
montagdude

Postby montagdude » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:38 am

I got some cheap red/cyan 3d glasses, but unfortunately, they didn't do any better than the light filters I had ordered. Here is what I did to finally get decent results:

1. In the monitor settings, I selected a custom white balance. The defaults had red, green, and blue all at 128. I increased red to 190 and decreased blue and green both to 95. Viewed without 3D glasses, the picture ends up a bit pinkish, but not too bad.
  2. I used 2 red filters instead of 1.
The result has a little bit of ghosting in both eyes, but it is not too noticeable definitely usable.
montagdude

Return to Graphics