Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Square Sun etc. Raspberry Pi4 (4GB)

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Square Sun etc. Raspberry Pi4 (4GB)

Postby Puffergas » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:38 am

Surprisingly FG runs good enough on a Raspberry Pi4 with 4 GB of memory. However I get a square sun, strange antenna towers and can not see through the spinning prop of the Piper J3.

Is this something that I can fix?

The prop on the Cessna 172? is transparent when throttled up (prop always looks good). Can see through the throttled down prop of the Piper J3 (not transparent but segmented to look like a slow prop).

Thank you to the programmers of FG and who ever compiled the package for the Raspberry Pi4.

Raspberry Pi4
Upto date Raspbian

FG version V2018.3.2
SimGear version 2018.3.2
OpenSceneGraph version 3.2.3

I had screen shots but it looks like this forum requires photos to be linked from somewhere.
Puffergas

Re: Square Sun etc. Raspberry Pi4 (4GB)

Postby enrogue » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:48 am

Hiya

It's hard to say without looking at it :)

It may be related to the OpenSceneGraph version (current flightgear usually uses OSG 3.4.2). Raspbian is 32bit (armhf) and is based on Debian, and by the looks of the debian packaging, the 32bit arm builds are only linked against OSG 3.2

If you're feeling adventurous you could try installing Ubuntu Server from here https://ubuntu.com/download/raspberry-pi & then install lubuntu-desktop to get a gui - then you could try the Ubuntu ppa from here https://launchpad.net/~saiarcot895/+arc ... flightgear

I really need to order an RPi4...
enrogue

Callsign: enrogue

Postby Puffergas » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:49 pm

enrogue wrote in Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:48 am:Hiya

If you're feeling adventurous you could try installing Ubuntu Server from here https://ubuntu.com/download/raspberry-pi & then install lubuntu-desktop to get a gui - then you could try the Ubuntu ppa from here https://launchpad.net/~saiarcot895/+arc ... flightgear

Hi and thanks!

That looks doable. I guess that would give us "OSG 3.4.2"? Is there any other advantage to this install method?

Thanks!
Puffergas

Postby enrogue » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:51 pm

Ubuntu has it's own packages that update twice a year (i.e. faster than Debian/Raspbian), and the above PPA (personal package archive) keeps relatively up to date with Flightgear Stable - including dependencies like OpenSceneGraph

The alternative would be compiling it yourself using the instructions here: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Scripted_Com ... ian/Ubuntu

You would probably then come up against the issue (if you compiled on Raspbian) as to why flightgear on 32bit arm is compiled against osg 3.2 rather than 3.4.2 - but I've no idea really as I've not tried compiling it on arm
enrogue

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:53 pm

enrogue wrote in Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:51 pm:The alternative would be compiling it yourself using the instructions here: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Scripted_Com ... ian/Ubuntu

or one might use the download_and_compile.sh script (aka dnc) from the FGMeta repository... it, too, is designed around debian-based linux flavors... depending on editing done in the script, one can easily use the latest OSG if they desire... i am on my old kubuntu 14.04.5 systems along with some self-made modifications to use a PPA build of Qt5 in my /opt because the one that comes with 14.04.5 is too old...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Puffergas » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:55 am

Someone is reading my mind, I want to learn how to compile FG and now I have tons of instructions! For now I have the 64bit Ubuntu image down loaded. Need some time now.

Will report back.
Puffergas

Postby Puffergas » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:44 pm

enrogue wrote in Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:48 am:Hiya

I bet the binaries, in the above PPA, are compiled for x64 and will not run with the above arm64 Ubuntu OS. Of course it could be compiled for the OS. There is a 64 bit Rasbain in the works so I will put compiling 64 bit on hold until the 64 bit Rasbian is released.

Maybe I could modify the Piper J3 model to not display the prop, for now. Plus, I can learn how to compile the 32 bit version.

Thanks! :D
Puffergas

Postby enrogue » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:55 pm

The PPA above does build binaries for arm64, they should be available

looking at the directory it has binaries for i386,amd64,ppc64el,arm64
enrogue

Postby enrogue » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:46 pm

OK, you can get a working 64bit Ubuntu onto a Raspberry Pi 4 here: https://jamesachambers.com/raspberry-pi ... nofficial/

I verified that it can install the ppa above & run, but it has the same issue as the Raspbian build, so it might not be OpenSceneGraph (it might be the V3D driver). At the moment thats all I have time to test, but with the above instructions you can get an Ubuntu install with accelerated OpenGL etc & run FG - don't bother turning on ALS with either Raspbian or Ubuntu, as it goes very slow & sometimes crashes

You should be able to do a proper download_and_compile.sh run with the Ubuntu install - not sure about Raspbian

Oh the main difference I noticed is that with Ubuntu & the ppa you get the Qt launcher :)
enrogue

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:38 pm

enrogue wrote in Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:46 pm:Oh the main difference I noticed is that with Ubuntu & the ppa you get the Qt launcher :)

yup as long as your Qt is at or above the minimum required and all the necessary Qt libs are avail... some installs may be be the entire Qt full install... only certain libs are needed for FG's interface to Qt... there should be an easy to find list of them in the dnc script ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Puffergas » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:42 pm

Thanks!! I will work on this.

P.S. the DC3 is outstanding on the Pi4....
Puffergas

Postby Puffergas » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:13 pm

I was able to burn the image for 64arm Ubuntu (the one with a Desktop). It seems to work.

Updated Ubuntu with apt-get.

Added the PPA.

Installed FG with the GUI package installer.

FG crashed Ubuntu (repowered to restart) when starting to load scenery. The base package seems to be install however the Scenery folder was not very large in data.

Tried again, this time only FG crashed.

Turned on auto download of scenery. FG crashes when downloading scenery.

Installed my local scenery and FG crashes when loading this scenery.

Oh well, might be better to focus on Raspian.
Puffergas

Postby enrogue » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:53 pm

Well it's working fine on my 4GB RPi4, there doesn't seem to be much difference from raspbian though

What desktop did you install on Ubuntu (I installed xubuntu-desktop) - maybe the crashes are related to the desktop compositor?
enrogue

Postby Puffergas » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:19 pm

enrogue wrote in Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:53 pm:Well it's working fine on my 4GB RPi4, there doesn't seem to be much difference from raspbian though

What desktop did you install on Ubuntu (I installed xubuntu-desktop) - maybe the crashes are related to the desktop compositor?

I downloaded the image that had a desktop included. He has both. Maybe that was the problem. Later I'll start over with the server version and install xubuntu-desktop.

Thanks!
Puffergas

Postby V12 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:50 am

Try LUbuntu if available. It is lightest ubuntu distro.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Next

Return to Graphics