Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

How to fix lag in flightgear

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Re: How to fix lag in flightgear

Postby Johan G » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:23 am

A large contributor to CPU and GPU workload is the sheer amount of data that need to be shuffled around to render the scenery. You can alter how much and how detailed scenery to render by changing the level of detail (LoD) ranges (Main Menu > View > Adjust LoD Ranges).

Some computers have an integrated graphics chipset that they primarily use even though they have a dedicated graphics card, though this is usually only relevant for laptop computers.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Richard » Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:24 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:25 pm:FWIW: you don't need NVTT... .they will be cached uncompressed... so mainly NVTT will help save drive space only

Using DDS with DXT compression (i.e. NVTT) you also get the same space saving on your GPU because pretty much all GPU's can work directly with compressed DDS - so NVTT is definitely worth having, in my opinion.

V12 wrote in Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:17 pm:Strange, problem is only with some .png textures. When I one problematic texture converted into .jpg, it was displayed correctly.

There are some textures that just don't work as DDS; so I've added logic to exclude these and that logic keeps getting improved as more of the edge cases are discovered.
--------

If we can't reliably use NVTT across all platforms then we have a few options to do something different - but it's a lot more work and might take a while before the cross platform issue is resolved.
Richard

Version: Git

Postby V12 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:14 am

TackledMirror14 wrote in Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:04 pm:I have an AMD Ryzen 5 6-Core CPU, MSI Radeon RX 570 Series graphics card, and 16 gigs of RAM, but it runs like its on a PC from 1996. Any idea why?

What operating system ? Windows, Linux or Mac ?
Check if You have working graphics drivers, with Linux, Radeons are bit problematic, but after fiddling with configuration usable. RX570 is perfectly enough for FG.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby vnts » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:59 pm

Richard wrote in Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:24 pm:If we can't reliably use NVTT across all platforms then we have a few options to do something different - but it's a lot more work and might take a while before the cross platform issue is resolved.

Those comments were from 2019 - those DDS edge cases have probably been fixed since then(?). In the recently updated hardware recommendations page (link) I recommended people turn the DDS cache on .

One thing I'm not clear on: is NVTT currently bundled with the Windows installer? A search of the /bin folder doesn't show any results for files with nvtt in their name.

Kind regards
vnts

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:31 pm

NVTT should come with NVIDIA drivers... idk if it is available standalone...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Richard » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:41 pm

vnts wrote in Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:59 pm:is NVTT currently bundled with the Windows installer

It's osgdb_nvtt.dll that you need and I don't believe that this is currently included in the distribution partly because the underlying NVTT library can be difficult to build.

Equally I'm not sure how many people (apart from me) have actually successfully built and used osgdb_nvtt.dll on any platform.
Richard

Version: Git

Previous

Return to Graphics