Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

FG2019.1.2 vs LOD ranges

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

FG2019.1.2 vs LOD ranges

Postby V12 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:55 pm

Today I performed short test flight from MMAA to MMMX. This airport is my own creation. After land I observed missing almost all objects defined in .stg file as modelname.XML. All objects defined as modelname.AC was OK. Then I found that FGFS2019.1.2 after start has property /sim/rendering/static-lod/bare initialised with empty value. This bug prevent displays all models with xml definition containing
Code: Select all
  <animation>
    <type>range</type>
    <min-m>0</min-m>
    <max-property>sim/rendering/static-lod/bare</max-property>
  </animation>

Manual set LOD ranges via menu doesn't help. This definition is in many .xml files in terrasync...

Hopefully, workaround is simple - launch FGFS with parameter --prop:/sim/rendering/static-lod/bare=somereasonablevalue
Last edited by V12 on Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Re: FG2019.1.2 vs LOD ranges

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:23 pm

shouldn't one let the sim determine when objects are to be displayed instead of playing with range animations like this??

IIRC there was some discussion about this a few years back... at that time, the xmls were gone through and range animations were removed so the sim could do what it is designed to do WRT the LOD system and displaying objects in the scene...

then there's been LOD rewrites and new/different properties used... the ones in the LOD adjustment menu are not the same ones that used to be used...

best thing is to not use range animations at all and let the sim do the work as it is designed to do...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby D-ECHO » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:18 pm

I guess in that case one would need to go through every .xml file (using a script?) in the model database and remove the range animation blog.
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)
Version: next

Postby bugman » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:29 pm

I thought that Stuart had already done that.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Version: next

Postby V12 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:54 pm

Probably not, because I found this blog in many terrasync freshly downloaded files.

EDIT :
Now I have 824 .xml model files in terrasync folder, 621 contains range type animation tag...
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby Richard » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:41 pm

After lots of investigation and diagnosis I've now come to the conclusion that for the short to medium term a fix to the code is required as it seems that the scenery updates to fix this aren't being done. Probably the fix will remain until after the next LTS release - as there are other things related to the scenery that could change to improve performance (such as STG merging).

I'll push the fix for this to next sometime soon.
Richard

Version: Git

Return to Graphics