Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Papi Lights

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Re: Papi Lights

Postby Thorsten » Wed May 22, 2019 7:28 am

At this kind of distance and zoom, the lights would've been antialiased out.

Actually not - since they're point sprites, we can freely set the pixel size based on distance (that's kind of the point of point sprites - pun intended).

So usually the only reason you don't see a light is that the equations say you should not see it - but we are technically able to show it from 1000 miles out.

So both disc size and disc color in combianation are supposed to represent the light intensity, and since the Airy disc is rendered there's what you'd call 'bloom' aplenty (I don't like the term 'bloom' - the eye doesn't do that kind of thing - to the part that it's Airy disc we render it, but to the part that's what CCD chips do, I don't think we need it).

Thorsten

Postby Robertfm » Wed May 22, 2019 10:17 am

ludomotico wrote in Wed May 22, 2019 12:13 am:

According to my real life experience, you will only get a light intensity similar to the one this video shows if you set a forest on fire each time an aircraft approaches the runway.

Check this video under similar light conditions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EEiOw5WgWM

In my opinion, based not only on that video but also my real life, while the sun is high, you can only guess the PAPI lights on short final and distinguish colors on very short final.

Let me compare distances in both videos. Both videos show similar light conditions on the same aircraft, i.e, same speeds.

- FSX in your video shows PAPI lights from minute 8 and touchdown happens on minute 14. PAPI lights are shown during about 6 minutes before landing
- The real video above shows PAPI lights from minute 9 and touchdown happens on minute 10:30. PAPI lights are shown during about 1:30 minutes before landing.

In my opinion, FSX shows PAPI lights from a distance about 4 times longer than you'll see them in real life.

Thank you for that explanation.
Robertfm

Callsign: RFM1
Version: 2020.3.11

Postby Robertfm » Wed May 22, 2019 10:21 am

Thank, now I understand the issues I won't worry about it. My confusion as I said at the outset was the view I got when using my laptop.
Robertfm

Callsign: RFM1
Version: 2020.3.11

Postby wkitty42 » Wed May 22, 2019 2:53 pm

if you haven't done it yet, please click the green check mark on the post that helped you to solve this problem ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Previous

Return to Graphics