Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Weird loading screen and low frames

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Weird loading screen and low frames

Postby inventorJS » Sun May 05, 2019 9:26 am

I have had FlightGear for a while now and have loved the program until I built my new pc which runs any game fine with high framerate. I launched FlightGear for the first time and found that everything ran fine but got some weird lag and frame drops when I looked around the cockpit very quickly. I used to play on a MacBook air and it ran fine despite it having far worse hardware. I quit the game and left it for a while and then booted it up another day. Once I started the game, the loading screen came up and I was met with this:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cKMcGacTX6BmTgqEQ-os6IMo9kfhxzUL/view?usp=sharing
I would really like an explanation as to why this is happening.
I am running windows 10 pro with an AMD ryzen 5 2600 without overclocking and have an AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB.
Any help?
inventorJS

Re: Weird loading screen and low frames

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun May 05, 2019 12:50 pm

Are you sure it's using the dedicated RX GPU and not any integrated GPU if you have one? That actually looks like bad drivers :? Try updating them as well.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: YV-LEGO
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby Icecode GL » Sun May 05, 2019 1:17 pm

I have had FlightGear for a while now and have loved the program until I built my new pc which runs any game fine with high framerate.

FlightGear genally doesn't play by the rules, unlike those games. FG has a pretty ancient codebase, so it can't take advantage of multiple threads. Modern CPUs aren't getting better single core performance either. If the aicraft you are using is complex enough, stutters are expected as textures load from disk. You could try enabling the DDS texture cache in the rendering options if it's available in your FG version, or moving FG to an SSD if you have one available.
Icecode GL

Callsign: icecode
Version: GIT

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun May 05, 2019 2:51 pm

The main problem here I think is drivers. If something isn't working right then as indicated by the wierd splash screen that will cause very bad performance.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: YV-LEGO
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby inventorJS » Fri May 10, 2019 8:02 am

legoboyvdlp wrote in Sun May 05, 2019 2:51 pm:The main problem here I think is drivers. If something isn't working right then as indicated by the wierd splash screen that will cause very bad performance.

I have updated my drivers and unfortunately, nothing has helped :cry:. I am not sure where to go to at this point.
inventorJS

Postby inventorJS » Fri May 10, 2019 8:08 am

legoboyvdlp wrote in Sun May 05, 2019 2:51 pm:The main problem here I think is drivers. If something isn't working right then as indicated by the wierd splash screen that will cause very bad performance.

I have just found out that if I select a different aircraft such as the UFO, i don't have any issues
inventorJS

Postby V12 » Fri May 10, 2019 8:34 am

This is not first case, when extremly powerfull CPU/GPU runs this sim in low fps and CPU/GPU indicated load is very low :( Weird splash screen is always evidence of the driver related problem.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby inventorJS » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:32 am

V12 wrote in Fri May 10, 2019 8:34 am:This is not first case, when extremly powerfull CPU/GPU runs this sim in low fps and CPU/GPU indicated load is very low :( Weird splash screen is always evidence of the driver related problem.

I have done a complete clean install of drivers and for some reason the issues still persist. Could it be because I have a mining card with gaming firmware on it?? I am not sure about what to do at this point. I have also sent back my graphics card and received reports of everything being fine.
inventorJS

Return to Graphics