Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

No Grass Shader - AMD Graphics - Debian Testing

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Re: No Grass Shader - AMD Graphics - Debian Testing

Postby Dogers » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:52 am

Okay, thank you for your responses. At least, it is not a too serious issue and absolutely not needed for a good simulation experience. We will see if it get fixed in the long term future.
Scenery contributions :

LFVM - LFVP - FMEE - FMCZ
Dogers

Callsign: F-DGRS, Dogers
Version: 2020.3.8

Postby wlbragg » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:38 pm

What sucks about this is this is a Linux driver issue. Same card and FG system works fine on Windows. It's reared its ugly head on my new Linux system and I am not happy about it.

I was wondering, disregarding breaking other shaders, by simply changing shader versions to +3.x in the geometry-shader.xml file and associated effects files, would that effectively change the possibility of using the geometry shader with the AMD card by eliminating the need for EXT version4 seeings how more recent OpenGL version should just work with this?

I have someone way smarter than me coming to help me later this week. Maybe we can find a solution for this.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby icecode » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:47 pm

The problem is that FG is running in an OpenGL 2.0 context, which (in theory) doesn't allow a GLSL version greater than 120.

Geometry shaders are either supported as an extension for pre-3.0 versions or as a core feature starting on 3.0. Some drivers don't even bother implementing some extensions/features because they just don't need too. The OpenGL specification only guarantees core features to be available. There is just no way around this, we completely depend on the driver developer here.
icecode

Version: next

Previous

Return to Graphics