Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Shadows without clouds above

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Shadows without clouds above

Postby sidi762 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:02 am

Some posts was moved here from the topic Revisiting clouds.

Just a bug report: there are some shadows without cloud in the sky(sorry for my bad description, due to my limited English level) which is shown in the screenshot.
Those clouds are amazing. Thanks for your work!
Last edited by Johan G on Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Some posts was moved here from the topic "Revisiting clouds".
sidi762

Callsign: DAG0762
Version: 2020.3.18

Re: Revisiting clouds

Postby Thorsten » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:11 am

No, that's a feature in disguise - it's Stuart's cloud LOD algorithm culling 75% of the cloud in the distance - looks silly when it mis-judges which ones to cull and leaves the bottoms as the clouds have not been designed with the idea of being culled in mind.

But gives you plenty of framerate on low-end systems.

You can switch it off - there's a property under /sim/rendering/ which does it (I forgot the precise name, but it was reasonably descriptive).
Thorsten

Postby Mihajlo » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:51 am

I would also like to disable this, so I had a look at the property browser, and I see only clouds3d-lod1-range=8000 and clouds3d-lod2-range=4000. Is that it? Can you please tell me whether I should set them both to false, some other value or do something else? Other than that I don't see anything else which has to do with cloud LOD.
Mihajlo

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:39 pm

I increased these three:

Seems to work!
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby Mihajlo » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:24 pm

Thanks. Will try that, though I have a feeling Thorsten meant that there should be an option to disable the cloud LOD completely, not just extend it, but as long as it does the trick it's fine.
Mihajlo

Return to Graphics