Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Newbie issue

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Newbie issue

Postby jvizzacc » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:58 pm

I'm new to FG. Downloaded 2018.2.2 2 months ago. Awesome. Haven't had an issue once I got it initially configured.

Running WIn10 with an onboard GPU Intel HD4600 and a second GPU AMD Radeon RX580. Prior to this problem I had both monitors plugged into the RX580.

Everything was fine until yesterday when I (for no apparent reason) moved the lessor monitor to the HD4600. Now I have 1 display on each GPU.

Starting FG, it crashed. Multiple attempts had the same result.

THinking back to "what changed???", I moved the lessor monitor back to the RX580.

Poof. All is well.

Just wanted to let someone know this. Not sure why a monitor move would cause this bevaviour.

Thanks,

Jim
jvizzacc

Re: Newbie issue

Postby wlbragg » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:41 pm

I don't know that it is related but I have had issues with multi monitor configurations and the QT launcher on Debian Linux. I don't know what the issue was exactly but it got confused over window sizes and then would break completely unti! I reconfigured and used the monitor it was set for.
I never really got to the bottom of it.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:09 am

this may be related to restoring options that are saved when FG is exited... someone would have to check and see what options are saved on exit (archive=y) and see if there are any related to video options like these... if there are, changing them so they do not "archive=y" and then switching monitor settings would be the real test...

@wlbragg: you understand what and where i'm thinking of, right? i don't have multi-monitor so i can't test this idea...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby wlbragg » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:45 pm

@wlbragg: you understand what and where i'm thinking of, right?

Yeah, but my issue was strictly with some of QT's internal cache issues and window creation. I was using hdmi + dvi in two aspect ratios and it really didn't like it.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:30 pm

oh, so your problem was strictly with the new internal launcher? i hadn't realized that... i thought it also affected FG... hummm...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Graphics