Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

1 FPS When starting up  Topic is solved

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Re: 1 FPS When starting up

Postby icecode » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:29 pm

Is it worth Getting the latest OS as well as the latest Flightgear sim?

I wouldn't do that. As I told you, Apple reduces the performance of older models with software updates.

Try to check if you get bad performance in other things (old games, web content, even the chess app in your computer). That way you can know if your system is bloated/badly configured.
icecode

Version: next

Postby RobAndrew » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:48 pm

Great, Thanks very much. I'll get back to this thread when I have a better understanding of the performance of the computer through other means!
RobAndrew

Callsign: G-RAND
Version: 2020.

Postby Clive2670 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:31 pm

If you remember Apple were found out a few months back with the iPhone when it "updated" the software on that people found their batteries only kept charged for half the amount of time beflore the update happened, and it was near enough said that it was because a new version of the iphone was due for release.....and sure enough only a matter of weeks later BINGO what happened? A new iphone appeared, it's a way of getting people to think their phone is "past it best" so we'll have to buy a new one...and usually it's a case of Apple users stick with Apple either due to "A status symbol" thing or they feel an ilegience to Apple!!!! Buit until Apple stop these "Bullyboy" tactics sometimes you don't have a choice but to update the software because it contains security patches (With deliberate stuff rolled into it to maybe slow down the equipment!!!) Catch 22 springs to mind. That is why Apple have so many multi billionaires on their payroll!!!
Thanks Clive aka: G-BLS01
Can be seen flying the Boeing 777-200LR
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
AMD R7-M260 graphics 2Gb RAM
Clive2670

Callsign: G-BLS01
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:11 pm

ummm... @RobAndrew: could you please edit your two posts above with the image links and add the missing '[' on the closing image tags? the last six characters should be "[/img]"... thanks!

eg:
Code: Select all
[img]https://imageshack.com/a/img921/6602/vhrIls.png/img]
should be
[img]https://imageshack.com/a/img921/6602/vhrIls.png[/img]

about four years ago... yeah, that's a full life for many software packages... they're dead and gone in that time... today's flightgear has had a lot of changes to fix bugs and enhance the simulator... many of the libraries used have also updated... i don't know that upgrading your OS will fix the problem but it could very well be worth a shot... especially since that will being updated shared object files to the table which FG will use...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby RobAndrew » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:11 am

Okay, so the previous code has been rectified... :oops:

I installed two free games from the app store. I tried to get them from online but for some reason the pages they were from weren't loading up correctly, making it really hard to find the download link! (Might be an OS issue?) Either way both of the games from the app store seemed to work perfectly. Both had good graphics and were smooth. with very cheesy music also :lol: I also tried the chess board that's preinstalled on the mac. That also worked flawlessly, apart from the fact I couldn't beat the damn thing!
I'm not one for delving deep into coding as I've never really done it before. just finding the terminal is hard enough as it is! But if it needs doing then i'd give it a go!

Any other suggestions? I'm err-ing on updating the OS as if I do, I can't go back! Maybe go halfway and get a sightly newer OS but not fully up to date?
RobAndrew

Postby icecode » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:50 pm

Very, very weird. I mean, your hardware is exactly "modern", but I've ran FG in even worse hardware successfully with interactive framerates. I'm afraid I ran out of ideas, as you can imagine it's hard to troubleshoot these things without being in front of the computer. Try upgrading FlightGear to its newer version, and upgrade your OS at your own risk.
icecode

Version: next

Postby Thorsten » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:43 pm

Is the graphics card being used at all? Software rendering might give you 1 fps just as well. Not sure how Mac handles these things.

Also, on my 10 year old computer, the graphics card is completely saturated by the C-172p hires textures (which essentially means the nouveau driver just balks and outputs errors most of the time, but a better driver might still render something) - so what does a lightweight plane do? The C-172p is a huge hog on the graphics card, and old HW can't do it - shaders or not.
Thorsten

Postby RobAndrew » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:43 pm

I think we're getting somewhere...

just loaded it up with the F86, got a good 15 FPS on the Runway and about 10 in the air. still seems a tad low. and thats with none of the settings on. I did try putting clouds and vegetation on, which brought the FPS down a little more.
that was all inside the cockpit though. As soon as I take a look at it from outside-boom, right back down to 1. Its a start though

Is this any help? Any more pictures with bad links needed? :lol:
RobAndrew

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:48 pm

Icecode GL wrote in Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:29 pm:
Is it worth Getting the latest OS as well as the latest Flightgear sim?

I wouldn't do that. As I told you, Apple reduces the performance of older models with software updates.

AFAIK, that's only on their iphones and maybe ipads... i've not heard of this being done on their icomputer things (aka mac)... especially since (desktop) macs are generally plugged into the wall socket and laptops can be run that way, too...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby RobAndrew » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:48 am

Okay! So I seem to have it up and running! I'm getting pretty good FPS in and out of the cockpit, most of the time! Thank you very much for all the support guys, you're all very helpful!....how do I show the world this is resolved?

On a slightly different point.....ive downloaded and installed a few of the 10x10 map pieces. Now I understand that the "Scenery" goes under "scenery" in the flightgear directory and "Objects" goes under "objects".....but what about "buildings"? And "roads" and "pylons"? I've put them under the "Models" directory but I'm not sure if this is correct? Thanks!
RobAndrew

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:01 pm

RobAndrew wrote in Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:48 am:Okay! So I seem to have it up and running! I'm getting pretty good FPS in and out of the cockpit, most of the time! Thank you very much for all the support guys, you're all very helpful!....how do I show the world this is resolved?

if there is one message that gave you the solution, there should be a green check mark icon near the top of it to the left of the writer's name and avatar... click on that and it should mark the topic as solved with that message as the solution...

RobAndrew wrote in Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:48 am:On a slightly different point.....ive downloaded and installed a few of the 10x10 map pieces. Now I understand that the "Scenery" goes under "scenery" in the flightgear directory and "Objects" goes under "objects".....but what about "buildings"? And "roads" and "pylons"? I've put them under the "Models" directory but I'm not sure if this is correct? Thanks!

you should start another topic for this but those new buildings, roads and pylons directories belong in the same scenery directory as Terrain and Objects... they have the same tile structure... they are for storing the new OSM objects...

Code: Select all
drwxrwxr-x  38 myuser mygroup  4096 Sep  1  2017 Airports
drwxrwxr-x  20 myuser mygroup  4096 Jan  3  2018 Buildings
drwxrwxr-x  20 myuser mygroup  4096 Jan 28 12:20 Models
drwxrwxr-x 345 myuser mygroup 12288 Feb 19 22:48 Objects
drwxrwxr-x  17 myuser mygroup  4096 Jan  3  2018 Pylons
drwxrwxr-x  17 myuser mygroup  4096 Jan  3  2018 Roads
drwxrwxr-x 527 myuser mygroup 20480 Jan  2  2018 Terrain
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby RobAndrew » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:24 pm

Brilliant! Thank you very much! See you out there someday! :wink:
RobAndrew

Previous