Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

DDS file editting

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

DDS file editting

Postby GreyWolfe » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:14 am

I'm having a problem opening the DDS file in a game I'm working with. Most of the DDS image are view able and I can rework to meet my needs but a few are compressed and I don't know how to open and convert to Bitmap for editing. The Sim is limited to a lot of templates for skinning and just want to skin up some aircraft's for the pubic to use.
Any help would be appreciated.

Salute GreyWolfe
GreyWolfe

Re: DDS file editting

Postby tonghuix » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:17 am

Try GIMP? ...with DDS plugin installed.
FG Manual Chinese Translation https://github.com/tonghuix/getstart-zh
tonghuix

Callsign: CPA112
IRC name: tonghuix
Version: next

Postby GreyWolfe » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:46 am

I have all these programs Gimp being one but the problem is the DDS file is blue and I need to convert to an image that shows the detail so I can alter the file and add more to it. I can convert back to a DDS file to render back in the game.
Thanks GreyWolfe
GreyWolfe

Postby Thorsten » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:59 am

Generally editing DDS is a bad idea because you lose quality every time you do so (it's not a lossless format) so get a copy of the original as early as you can.

Having said that, gimp can open dds with the plugin and also save as dds (you might have to flip axes at some point). Admittedly I don't get why the image being blue is a problem, so if you want more help, you have to explain your problem better.
Thorsten

Postby GreyWolfe » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:17 pm

I hear you, I'm sure its my lack of work with DDS imaging. I'm not sure how to explain this but Ill try. I'm trying to open the default image that is the texture folder, a P-39 skin. I can see this as a blue image with some detail. I'm guessing its is compressed. I tried using GIMP with the plugin but I'm not sure how to open to see all the color and detail. I even used my Adobe CS3 with the plugin and still cant figure out how to open. I'm sure its just me being slow on how to use the program. My main goal is to get a base to edit
for squadron use, a clean aircraft livery to add numbers and nose art for personal pilot use. If I could find a skinner that has a P-39 clean I would be happy.

Thanks GreyWolfe
GreyWolfe

Postby AndersG » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:25 pm

If the image you open is mostly blue it might well be a normal map and not a colour texture. Isn't it the case that DDS can store several images in the same file? (It certainly does so for cube maps.) Gimp might load these as layers or offer some way to choose which image you want.
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Callsign: SE-AG

Postby Thorsten » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:37 am

Yep - a blue image looks like a normal map....

I know dds can store mipmaps, I'm not sure it can store multiple layers like base texture and normal map (I am fairly sure FG doesn't know how to handle such things if they exist) - but if so, I agree with the analysis - check the layers that are created when opening.
Thorsten

Return to Graphics