Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Bug or performance issue due to integrated hw?

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Bug or performance issue due to integrated hw?

Postby 1karus » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:49 pm

Hello

I just downloaded FlightGear for Windows 7 x64 using a standard PC HP Compaq SFF Elite Desktop 8000.
I do not have issues with other games like minetest or minecraft but Flightgear is extremly slow. (for minetest i need to switch to directx9, opengl is slow)
I deactivated everthing GPU intensive. Switching from one menu to another in the mainmenü (sitting in the cockpit of the default Cessna) can take up to 3 seconds or even more.
Fliying is nearly impossible that way.
I know, the built in graphic chipset Intel Q45/Q43 Express Chipset is not that powerfull but with minimum graphical effects, should'nt it work?
Usually when I close the FlightGear, there is coming up a message that it has crashed or does not answer anymore.
Is there a logfile somewhere?

1karus
1karus

Re: Bug or performance issue due to integrated hw?

Postby Thorsten » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:41 pm

I know, the built in graphic chipset Intel Q45/Q43 Express Chipset is not that powerfull but with minimum graphical effects, should'nt it work?

Probably not with the C-172p which is quite lavishly equipped with graphics and needs tons of GPU memory. Try a really simplistic plane and a remote location.
Thorsten

Postby 1karus » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:23 pm

thank you, I choose a Junker 52 wich seems to be less demanding on graphics power but where can I get remote location addons? (sorry I am quite new to FGFS)
1karus

Postby 1karus » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:25 pm

btw: does anybody know if an (old) Nvidia NVS 290 graphic card would be a better choice - there is one of these here in the drawer ;)
1karus

Postby AndersG » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:46 pm

1karus wrote in Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:25 pm:btw: does anybody know if an (old) Nvidia NVS 290 graphic card would be a better choice - there is one of these here in the drawer ;)

That might depend on the amount of onboard memory it has. I run FG on a Nvidia 9800 GT with 512MB which I suppose would be about 1-2 generations older than a 290. It is marginal memorywise and I get 10-40 fps depending on the complexity of the scene (I don't use aircraft with heavy models, however).
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Callsign: SE-AG

Postby 1karus » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:47 pm

@Thorsten: what do you mean with remote location? How can I get that? I only have the start location...
1karus

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:41 pm

a "remote location" as in one that's away from the cities and areas with a lot of traffic and scenery objects... if your scenery downloading is working, try KMIA (Miami, FL)... it is basically only the airport layout and some fairly plain scenery...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby 1karus » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:01 pm

Ah ok, thanks. I changed the graphics card to the Nvidia NVS 290 and thats a lot better than before. I still need to screw down everything and set the rendering to default but like that the menu reacts like realtime and the framerate came up to a usable value. I guess it's also an OS issue. At home I use Liunx with an older version (3.4) working well will onboard graphics of a Prime Mini Pro computer system. At my current location I use the Windows machine wich seems to be more difficult with performance.
1karus

Return to Graphics