Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

4K Resolution Problem

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

4K Resolution Problem

Postby canerpense » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:17 pm

Hi all,

This is my first message here, i decided to give my "problem" a shot when I saw that the helpful and kind community of this forum. I recently grabbed a 65" 4K TV (at a steal price) and tried gaming on it. A 3GB GTX1060 struggles with most 2017 AAA titles on highest settings but that is not an issue with FG, it runs really smooth so far.

The first issue I'm facing is that there is no in-game setting to scale the UI (that I could find). In-game menus and letters become so small that it is impossible to read them. The splash/welcome screen looks kind of fine at 4K resolution although could be a bit larger or resize-able.

Second issue is that enabling or disabling full screen option sometimes messes up the Windows's resolution setting, forcing screen to jump between 1080p and 2160p resolutions, making it flash and go blank while constantly changing resolution. ALT+F4'ing and changing settings in the splash screen solves this problem.

I'm at work now but I'll provide SS or video when I get back home.
canerpense

Re: 4K Resolution Problem

Postby stuart » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:50 pm

Hi,

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on having such a large screen! I'm delighted that FG is running so smoothly.

Unfortunately there's no easy way to scale the UI. However, there is a second UI "style" that you can enable which is slightly larger and may be more legible. From memory if you look at the Debug menu there's a toggle-UI option to switch between them.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby Hooray » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:21 pm

For the sake of completeness, there's the external browser-based Phi GUI created and maintained by Torsten (see the wiki for details).

Other than that, there's a dedicated Qt5 UI in the process of being developed, and its developer has repeatedly stated that he's "getting really close to having the PUI replacement UI suitable for beta-testing", even actively discouraging any work on overlapping efforts in the PUI/Canvas department in light of the recent progress: http://wiki.flightgear.org/PUI

Your best bet would be getting in touch with the devel list to see if you can help with any of the "beta testing".

Besides, if you don't mind tinkering/coding a bit: for the built-in UI there's an experimental parser written in Nasal (fgdata-only) that processes a subset of the existing PUI/XML markup that is then dynamically mapped to Canvas primitives - which is to say, that it would be possible to use this approach to scale everything as required, as long as it's primarily dealing with osgText nodes and vector graphics obviously:

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:Proces ... ing_Canvas
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby canerpense » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:30 am

stuart wrote in Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:50 pm:Hi,

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on having such a large screen! I'm delighted that FG is running so smoothly.

Unfortunately there's no easy way to scale the UI. However, there is a second UI "style" that you can enable which is slightly larger and may be more legible. From memory if you look at the Debug menu there's a toggle-UI option to switch between them.

-Stuart

Thank you :) I found it under the debug menu and i think it was "cycle UI". UI gets a bit larger and easier to read but still pretty far from what would be suitable for use.

I downloaded HD scenery and getting 30 to 60 FPS with ALS shader with everything else maxed out. Memory consumption is around 1700MB, with the other Rembrant shader, albeit worser light effects, FPS drops and memory use increases.
canerpense

Postby canerpense » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:41 am

Hooray wrote in Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:21 pm:]

Will try the external UI on my phone, but I'm not sure it will work as intended. Being a newbie here, how do I contact the QT5 UI developer?
canerpense

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:12 pm

see the links at the very top of this page? above the graphic? click on the mailing lists one and sign up for the developers' list... posts come at you as emails or you can choose to have a daily digest emailed to you... all the real serious work and discussions take place on the mailing list...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Graphics