Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Unable to show airport scenery

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Unable to show airport scenery

Postby pinjui20000115 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:47 am

Hello, I'm a newcomer here, and I have some questions about the airport scenery.
It's been months since my last use of FlightGear, and when I change my start place (a new airport) today, there's no scenery around!
How can I solve this problem? Thank you!
BTW, I've enabled the auto scenery download~
pinjui20000115

Re: Unable to show airport scenery

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:49 am

what version of FG are you using? older ones, before 2016.something won't work with the new scenery distribution method... the old way was via SVN but that's been discontinued in favor of newer and easier methods...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby pinjui20000115 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:25 am

wkitty42 wrote in Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:49 am:what version of FG are you using? older ones, before 2016.something won't work with the new scenery distribution method... the old way was via SVN but that's been discontinued in favor of newer and easier methods...

It's v.2017.1.1
Should I install the latest version of the official website?
pinjui20000115

Postby Clive2670 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:16 pm

pinjui20000115 wrote in Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:47 am:Hello, I'm a newcomer here, and I have some questions about the airport scenery.
It's been months since my last use of FlightGear, and when I change my start place (a new airport) today, there's no scenery around!

I always use terramaster for my scenery so I never encounter any issues with my scenery as it's all on my hard drive and gets called up when needed. But just check the terrasync box stays "checked" when you restart, as sometimes it can "uncheck" itself! If you have a big enough drive just download the tiles you need from terramaster and store them in a file (say on your desktop) and point flightgear at that file in the "additional scenery locations" Box in the qtlauncher terramaster can be found here: https://github.com/Portree-Kid/terramaster hope this helps, I know it's not a real answer but it is a solution
Thanks Clive aka: G-BLS01
Can be seen flying the Boeing 777-200LR
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
AMD R7-M260 graphics 2Gb RAM
Clive2670

Callsign: G-BLS01
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby pinjui20000115 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:36 pm

Clive2670 wrote in Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:16 pm:
pinjui20000115 wrote in Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:47 am:Hello, I'm a newcomer here, and I have some questions about the airport scenery.

I always use terramaster for my scenery so I never encounter any issues with my scenery as it's all on my hard drive and gets called up when needed. But just check the terrasync box stays "checked" when you restart, as sometimes it can "uncheck" itself! If you have a big enough drive just download the tiles you need from terramaster and store them in a file (say on your desktop) and point flightgear at that file in the "additional scenery locations" Box in the qtlauncher terramaster can be found here: https://github.com/Portree-Kid/terramaster hope this helps, I know it's not a real answer but it is a solution

Thank you! I'll give it a try :D
pinjui20000115

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:38 pm

pinjui20000115 wrote in Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:25 am:
wkitty42 wrote in Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:49 am:what version of FG are you using? older ones, before 2016.something won't work with the new scenery distribution method... the old way was via SVN but that's been discontinued in favor of newer and easier methods...

It's v.2017.1.1
Should I install the latest version of the official website?

ok, that's not too old... there's been two more releases since that one, though... the 4th release for 2017 has been dropped and the next one is coming up in 2018... so either wait for 2018.1.1 or go ahead and download 2017.3.1 for the latest available...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Thorsten » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:59 pm

Changing version is unlikely to solve this because the scenery management hasn't changed, so either you find out why automatic terrasync doesn't work for you (is it blocked by a firewell? is the port otherwise not available?) or you download and install scenery manually and tell FG where it is in the launcher options.
Thorsten

Return to Graphics