Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Distant objects flickering

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Distant objects flickering

Postby Wizmo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:00 pm

Hello,

I have an issue with the distant objects.
The biggest example are the appronlamp ( located in Models/Airport/apronlamp16m360). When they are far from my aircraft, they start to flicker which is really embarassing. Is there a solution to fix it ?

I'm sorry if there already is a solution in the forum but I didn't found it.

Thank you in advance to any one who may be able to give me some ideas.

Wizmo
Wizmo

Re: Distant objects flickering

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:18 am

why is it embarrassing? it shouldn't be...

what airport are you at?
what craft are you in?

are you using ALS or Rembrandt?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Wizmo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:12 am

It's embarassing because it seems that there is a problem. It is a little bit like the object vanished, then appear, then vanish ... very very fastly.

It's on the LFMN Airport and this problem appears on every craft I tried. (cesna 172p for example).

I'm using ALS.
Wizmo

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:05 pm

ok... are you using custom scenery or the default scenery that flightgear distributes? i'm headed to LFMN now... about 30 minutes or so...

[EDIT}

ok, i see what you are talking about... those are all the vertical masts and poles on the sailboats... that's just the way they are drawn... it is only noticeable when you are moving around in the scene... even just rotating the UFO will make it visible... it is nothing to be worried or embarrassed about... i'm not sure but maybe anti-aliasing would help? i dunno... anti-aliasing is generally for slope edges and smoothing them so they don't look so stair stepped...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Thorsten » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:06 pm

If it's a thin object, then it's most likely the rasterizer either detecting the object or not - multi-sampling and AA will generally help with this.
Thorsten

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:00 pm

@Thorsten: yeah, they are thin vertical objects... the effect is readily viewable when flying toward the near by marina with all the tall masted sail boats docked... i currently have the following settings as seen in the console output when starting FG with the launcher...

option:texture-filtering = 16
option:prop = /sim/rendering/multi-sample-buffers=1
option:prop = /sim/rendering/multi-samples=4
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Wizmo » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:30 am

Thank you @Thorsten and @wkitty42 for you replies.

I also already have the following options :

option:texture-filtering = 16
option:prop = /sim/rendering/multi-sample-buffers=1
option:prop = /sim/rendering/multi-samples=4

So, there is no other way to correct my issue ? Indeed, the problem appears with the thin vertical objects.
Wizmo

Postby Thorsten » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:14 am

So, there is no other way to correct my issue ?

There's usually ways to do almost anything, but if the diagnosis is correct and you're seeing a rasterizer issue, you have to delve into the effect frameworks and write your own GLSL code to render these things to do anything (in particular, one can nudge the rasterizer to pick things up if really needed...) - if you knew how to do that, you'd likely not be asking here, so I'll lean out of the window and say that there's no easy way if AA doesn't work.
Thorsten

Return to Graphics