Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Splash screen fault

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Re: Splash screen fault

Postby Clive2670 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:33 pm

I thought also it might be a local problem to me alone! I not too bothered as the Sim works fine, just thought I would bring this to the attention of the forum!
Thanks Clive aka: G-BLS01
Can be seen flying the Boeing 777-200LR
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
AMD R7-M260 graphics 2Gb RAM
Clive2670

Callsign: G-BLS01
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby Hooray » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:55 pm

if there are no other issues when using --disable-splash, I would also suggest to ignore the problem altogether ...
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Clive2670 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:45 pm

ok I'll try your command line, then I won't see the problem!!! Cheers Hooray
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
Clive2670

Postby Clive2670 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:48 pm

Hooray wrote in Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:55 pm:if there are no other issues when using --disable-splash, I would also suggest to ignore the problem altogether ...

I get the error "Uknown command" if I use this request in settings, so I have to remove the command!
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
Clive2670

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:47 pm

that's what i've been wanting to kinda bring up, too... what changed in the days between downloading and using 2017.3.0 and the time that this fault showed up... apparently it was working and then it went goofy so something on the system outside of flightgear had to have changed... especially if external DLLs are being used that are not distributed by FG...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Hooray » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:35 pm

Sorry, I didn't know that --disable-splash no longer works, and have currently no way to check if that's indeed the case or not.
As has been mentioned, at least on Windows there is the very real chance that external DLLs are being "pulled in", which is something that is commonly checked using a tool like "Dependency Walker", which brings up a list of DLLs that are utilized by an executable.

That being said, I do believe that --disable-splash should continue to work as is, if it doesn't that would qualify as a bug - it was originally added for a reason, and I see no reason to remove that option. So if you are sure that the option no longer works, I would file a bug report or raise this on the devel list. But again, don't file a bug report unless other people hav e independently confirmed that the option no longer works.

Technically, it's not really obvious to me why this part of FlightGear has been revamped at all - it could have been trivially replaced using a single Nasal/Canvas wrapper that shows arbitrary raster/vector images and osgText using modern OSG 3.0 code instead of yet another bunch of C++ code added to the initialization sequence. As a matter of fact, the canvas-team clone provided the exact functionality 5 years ago, at the mere cost of initializing the Nasal scripting interpreter earlier, so that the basic Nasal/Canvas building blocks would be made available while the rest of the system is still booting, which even meant that the Canvas-based "Aircraft center" could be executed during the initialization sequence:

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Initializing_Nasal_early
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:16 pm

the correct option is "--disable-splash-screen" ;)

from a command prompt, use "--help --verbose" to see all the command line options... AFAIK the list is only output to the console (at this time)...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Hooray » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:17 pm

okay, then I am indeed sorry for not posting the proper command line argument and for the noise - like I said, I haven't actually run (let alone, built) fgfs in quite a while.
But the docs are there for a reason, as is --help --verbose (like you said).
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Clive2670 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:36 pm

wkitty42 & Hooray you have lost me with all the "code" talk....but yes "--disable-splash-screen" works just fine for now! I can see a "pretty" light blue screen now rather than a bunch of pixels trying to look like a slpash screen!!! Bonus as well, by disabling the splash the plane loads 50% faster as well!!! Thanks guys I think we can call this one sorted (well on my part anyway) pity we couldn't get to the bottom of what is causing the problem, But lets hope it might "cure itself" by the 2018 release! Cheers all for all the constructive comments and help!
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
Clive2670

Postby Hooray » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:40 pm

Thanks for reporting back here. That is actually interesting and good to know. If in doubt, you may actually want to post a follow up on the devel list, so that the people involved in touching that code recently, are made aware of your observations and can see if they can repro the problem or not.

To be honest, faster booting is a bit odd and seems unexpected to me. Then again, I don't even understand why the splash screen code had to be touched at all, I would have left the old code alone, and just use the disabling switch mentioned above ..

And now, unless you actually provide feedback to the devs, this won't usually be solved "by itself".
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Clive2670 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:50 pm

OK Hooray how do i forward on to the devel list please, As I like to fly, i like to make the community aware of issues that I encounter (And anything which I find helps me to cure or prevent problems that I have and have worked for me) But like a lot of others on here, I am no coder or programmer and don't intend to start now!!! Too long in the tooth as they say. Or just simply too wet behind the ears! But anything that might help I'll be happy to give the people "in the know" I know how to pull up the log if that helps? Cheers Clive
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
Clive2670

Postby bugman » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:08 pm

Clive, for the faster loading time, could you run a test? Start with an without --disable-splash-screen, 3 times each, switching back and forth each time, and measure the time to start for each? That information would be extremely useful.

Cheers,
Edward
bugman

Version: next

Postby Hooray » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:27 pm

Agreed, checking if that's the case would definitely make sense - otherwise, if the probllem cannot be reproduced with a hot cache, you're just seeing the cold cache being "intialized" (populated) when booting fgfs for the first time.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby AndersG » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:35 pm

It can also be that --disable-splash-screen opens the curtains somewhat earlier (before the scene is fully set) than when the splash screen is used which IIRC stays until everything is in place..
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Callsign: SE-AG

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:56 pm

Clive2670 wrote in Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:50 pm:OK Hooray how do i forward on to the devel list please,

you sign up for the mailing list if you don't already have an account... the postings on the list are sent to you as emails and you write to the list by sending it an email... there should be a link to the mailing lists at the top of the forum pages... i started a thread on the list (on 20171130 at 15:54EST) with this topic's subject and your initial post... there hasn't been any responses to that thread, though...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Previous

Return to Graphics