Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Is it possible for some parts to inhibit .ac interpolator?

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Is it possible for some parts to inhibit .ac interpolator?

Postby abassign » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:25 am

I trying to use FreeCad to generate some parts (Gauges) for the FIAT G91R1B. I noticed a problem with the version of the guages made by Freecad.
When the instruments have flat faces, they observe shading effects due to the presence of many vectors on the edges. In CAD this is normal, so eliminating such edges is practically impossible unless using another mashing technique. Observing the same object with a render, such as Blender, does not see any shading.
My feeling is that this problem arises from the interpolation processor in the .ac file loader!
My question is this:
Is it possible for some parts to inhibit the interpolator?
The interpolator makes sense only for objects with a few vertices or parts of the fuselage, but in the case of our project this never happens because we have project level decided to work with a high number of vertices as we do the Interpolator work as pre-processing of the .ac file.

The image shows what we see, artifacts start at the edges and go to the central hole. If the surface is curved, there are no such problems, only to flat surfaces. In the development of this aircraft I have already noticed problems with the interpolator, such as an overly slow loading of objects when there are very close vertices, this is due to the algorithm used by the interpolator that is quadratic.

Here I show the vertices in the model, their number is not much higher than the version made with Blender, but if there are flat parts, the OBJ file produced by Freecad, it creates absolutely unnecessary vertices that make life difficult to ' interpolator. For this I would like to be able to inhibit it for some objects, it would be enough to have an option to insert into the .xml file that loads the .ac file

Developer of the program https://wiki.flightgear.org/Julia_photoscenery_generator
FDM developer of the G91R1B aircraft https://wiki.flightgear.org/FIAT_G91R1B
JSBSim collaborator
abassign

Callsign: I-BASSY
Version: 2020.4

Re: Is it possible for some parts to inhibit .ac interpolato

Postby Necolatis » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:53 pm

I have a bit of trouble understanding what you mean. Maybe a picture of how it should look would help.
Or an arrow in the picture showing where the issue is.
"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby Thorsten » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:07 pm

My feeling is that this problem arises from the interpolation processor in the .ac file loader!

If I understand the question right, your feeling is wrong, it's in the structure of the *.ac file - you need to set the option in the 3d modeling tool of your choice (and have the exporter to *.ac support it of course). In blender, you're looking for something like the edge split modifier - in FreeCad I don't know.
Thorsten

Postby V12 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:49 am

This is common problem after export from CAD application to the other format. CAD doesn't use smoothing in export. You should try import model to the Blender and use Smooth function. It should be better.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby abassign » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:45 am

V12 wrote in Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:49 am:This is common problem after export from CAD application to the other format. CAD doesn't use smoothing in export. You should try import model to the Blender and use Smooth function. It should be better.

I thank you for your answer, I will test with a flat object smouting to see if it is a good way to proceed.
Anyway, I'd like to understand if you can lock the interpolation program that should use the loader (so I was told in a previous post). In the case of objects rich in polygons, its use is superfluous and makes it much slower. I think this feature, if it does not exist, it would be very useful for those who make objects that have a high density of vertices.
Developer of the program https://wiki.flightgear.org/Julia_photoscenery_generator
FDM developer of the G91R1B aircraft https://wiki.flightgear.org/FIAT_G91R1B
JSBSim collaborator
abassign

Callsign: I-BASSY
Version: 2020.4

Postby Thorsten » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:17 am

Anyway, I'd like to understand if you can lock the interpolation program that should use the loader (so I was told in a previous post)

No, you can not 'lock the interpolation program' because the loader doesn't interpolate any surface normals, it's done in the rendering pipeline on the graphics card between vertex and fragment shader (but we don't want to change it there).

Please read through the answers given and try to understand them - you need to set an option in your 3d modeling tool and get the exporter to ac to honor that option (which may or may not be possible in your case) and then the surface arrives with the right atttributes in the rendering pipeline.
Thorsten

Postby Richard » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:53 am

NOTE: I'm not sure if this is relevant or the reason for what you're seeing.

There is the SURF setting the .ac file that indicates surface smoothing.

SURF 0x10 - smoothed (one sided)
SURF 0x0 - flat (one sided)

Apart from this, and looking at the OSG .ac loader I cannot see anything else that manipulates the loaded geometry.
Richard

Version: Git

Return to Graphics