Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Weird Loading Screen + Cockpit Texture Glitch

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Re: Weird Loading Screen + Cockpit Texture Glitch

Postby Hooray » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:26 pm

From a troubleshooting standpoint, I would suggest to disable all effects/shaders, and all of PUI (the legacy GUI engine), including the menubar and try to use a 2D cockpit next, to see if that makes any difference or not, and please report back here.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby L0NE_PH4NT0M » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:05 am

Pardon my beginner-ness and layman-ship, but how would I do that?
L0NE_PH4NT0M

Postby V12 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:22 am

L0NE_PH4NT0M wrote in Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:36 am:Excuse me, but how would I go about doing this?

In the Windows device manager use Update driver and try find Microsoft's AMD driver.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby L0NE_PH4NT0M » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:22 am

Which one is it? I'm looking under the System Devices tree and have AMD PCI Express (3GIO) Filter Driver and AMD SM Bus.
L0NE_PH4NT0M

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:50 pm

probably neither one... you have to look at the video branch in the tree... unless they changed things an awful lot...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby L0NE_PH4NT0M » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:16 pm

Nope, couldn't find anything "video" related in the device manager...
L0NE_PH4NT0M

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:20 pm

really? did m$ remove the branch for the video card drivers?? i find that hard to believe but i also do not have any winwhatever here any more since our last laptop with vista ate itself... it will be brought back online with some flavor of *nix at some point...

so can you take a screen shot of your device manager and post it? it may be under a different name than "video" as i may be mistakenly recalling...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby L0NE_PH4NT0M » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:25 am

Here's the Device Manager Screenshot. http://imgur.com/a/U4nkq
L0NE_PH4NT0M

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:31 am

ummm... "Sound, video and game controllers" maybe?? but more likely to be in "Display adapters" ;)
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby L0NE_PH4NT0M » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:17 am

Well, in Sound, Video, and Game Controllers, there's just things like the drivers for my headset and speakers. However, in Display Adapters, there's a Radeon RX470 Graphics item. When I clicked Update Drivers, it said that I already had the best drivers installed.
L0NE_PH4NT0M

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:58 pm

the display adapter section is the one where video drivers are updated, back leveled, or whatever... so anyway, what video driver are you using? microsoft's or the one from AMD/ATI? it should tell you in that branch when you click on it... properties or name or something like that...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby L0NE_PH4NT0M » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:39 pm

In Properties, under Driver Provider, it says AMD.
L0NE_PH4NT0M

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:17 pm

sounds like that is AMD's driver then... it was suggested up-topic that you might be able to find microsoft's driver for your card and try that... i don't know if that is something you want to do or not... me? i'd file a bug with AMD and get them to look at the problem... if it is their problem, then they should be able to find and fix it... how long that will take is another question altogether... IF i/you were to file that bug with them, i would also consider finding another video card and trying that... a nice NVIDIA sounds good... the one i'm currently using cost me $60US about a year or so ago... personally speaking, we had problems with AMD/ATI cards and finally tried NVIDIA and have never looked back...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby inventorJS » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:56 pm

L0NE_PH4NT0M wrote in Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:01 am:Hi!

I just installed FlightGear 2017.2.1 yesterday. I really want to try it out, but I have a pretty annoying graphics glitch that happens whenever I'm in the loading/startup "splash" screen and in the cockpit. I'm using a vanilla version, with the default Cessna plane without any special weather conditions. I am also just launching at the Boston Airport. Please help me. I am quite new to the Flight Simulation world, and I may not understand some of your terms. I've also already checked the Wiki and I couldn't really find anything related to my problem.

Here's a link to the Imgur Gallery: http://imgur.com/a/j7XGh
Thanks!

I also have found this issue on my system and it appears to happen with AMD drivers or cards. I am not sure why but another post suggested to reinstall drivers which I have already done but may work for you. This issue also occurs in programs such as davinci resolve where the card is not detected.
inventorJS

Previous

Return to Graphics