Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

B777 Landing lights problematic

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

B777 Landing lights problematic

Postby Lima0-1 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:06 am

Hi, there is something wrong with the B777 landing lights. In cockpit view with the landing lights on, the light will follow wherever you are looking towards to. E.g I look over the wing and the light spots are also over the wing. Pretty weird right? And when in external view, the light will just be in random places also depending on where your camera is looking at. I was in external view and looking forward and the light spots were underneath the tail, not in front of the plane where it's supposed to be at. The aircraft is downloaded from the official FG Hangar which I added to my launcher.

Also, when I enable ALS, the lights totally disappear and dosen't illuiminate anything.

I am currently running FlightGear 2017.2.1 however, this problem has happened from way back to 2016 versions.

I am using a Macbook Pro 13inch Mid-2012, Intel Core i5, 16GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536MB.

"If not you, who else?"
Lima0-1

Callsign: Lima 0-1
Version: 2017.3.1

Re: B777 Landing lights problematic

Postby legoboyvdlp » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:02 am

Hi there,
Using the ALS landing lights only works in the cockpit -- ie looking from pilot view. This is because it is kind of a "fake" simulation of lights, and it would be a bit hard for graphics cards with present technology to render proper lights :)
For lights that work better, turn on Rembrandt -- it's awesome at lighting (but it makes frame rates bad and isn't very realistic at simulating the sky!).
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby Thorsten » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:26 am

From the description, it actually seems to be implemented wrongly by the aircraft maintainer - ALS can now do a lighting scheme for landing lights in exterior and interior view using two different techniques - the C-172p has it implemented.
Thorsten

Postby Lima0-1 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:41 pm

legoboyvdlp wrote in Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:02 am:Hi there,
Using the ALS landing lights only works in the cockpit -- ie looking from pilot view. This is because it is kind of a "fake" simulation of lights, and it would be a bit hard for graphics cards with present technology to render proper lights :)
For lights that work better, turn on Rembrandt -- it's awesome at lighting (but it makes frame rates bad and isn't very realistic at simulating the sky!).

Thanks so much for the reply. I was really enjoying FG with ALS on but it seems that I'll have to turn it off for now. Looking forward to the not-too-distant future where this problem will be fixed. Once again, thanks!
"If not you, who else?"
Lima0-1

Callsign: Lima 0-1
Version: 2017.3.1

Postby Thorsten » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:09 pm

It'd probably be more productive to get in touch with whoever maintains the 777 these days or to learn how to change it yourself than to wait, but suit yourself.
Thorsten

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:30 pm

Thorsten wrote in Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:26 am:From the description, it actually seems to be implemented wrongly by the aircraft maintainer - ALS can now do a lighting scheme for landing lights in exterior and interior view using two different techniques - the C-172p has it implemented.

Would that be procedural lighting with Landmass / Trans shaders turned up?
legoboyvdlp

Postby Thorsten » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:17 pm

The inside visuals as described above seem just to be rendered with the wrong property set (which is why they move with the view axis). The outside visuals currently need some Nasal hooks and are probably not done at all in the 777 - Richard is investigating whether he can directly use the model coordinates of the light for the purpose instead, so I am deferring documenting the shader-side technique because a much more comfortable solution might be around the corner.

I don't remember exactly what quality level this required, but it wasn't outrageous.
Thorsten

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:28 pm

@Thorsten, on a similar topic, I thought I saw a screenshot where there were ALS lights lighting the ground (red / green, with white from the stobes). Was I dreaming? I think it was the c172p?
legoboyvdlp

Postby Thorsten » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:41 am

That's what I tried to say - there is an implementation for landing/taxi/nav lights in outside view available these days which the C-172 uses (and the 777 evidently not).

Richard is trying to make it much more user friendly than it currently is, so the current interface isn't widely announced (the hope is to be able to share Rembrandt light definitions).
Thorsten

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:39 pm

Thanks, @Thorsten: I will then wait for the wide announcement :)
I'll also test the c172p.
legoboyvdlp

Return to Graphics