Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Sea everywhere?

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Sea everywhere?

Postby BrejSki » Wed May 10, 2017 1:25 pm

Hi guys
At first my PC specification
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690k
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX760
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
RAM: 12GB (2x2GB + 8GB) DDR3-1600
Two screens: Main FullHD (connected to GTX760), secondary 1680x1050 (Connected to HD4600) playing on main.
Flightgear version: 2017.1.3
Internet speed: Orange LTE ~20-40 Mb/s, ping ~30-50ms

Problem: Seems like map doesn't load correctly - on any airport I'm trying to start, after loading plane crashes, because there's sea everywhere.
Airports I tried: EPWA (Warsaw Chopin), EPPO (Poznan Lawica), EKCH (Copenhagen Kastrup), KJFK (New Your John F. Kennedy), OMDB (Dubai Intl), EDDF (Frankfurt am Main), EDDM (Munich J. Strauss), GCTS (Tenerife Sur Airport)... Everywhere the same.
Airplanes I tried: Cessna 172P, Boeing 757-200, Boeing 767-300/ER, Boeing 777-300, Boeing 787-8, Bombardier CRJ700 (900/1000 crashes), A320.

In settings set:
Muli-sample anti-aliasing: disabled
Rembeandt: disabled
TerraSync: enabled
Real weather online: enabled
Full-screen: enabled
Additional: --httpd=8080
Scenery: 4 squares downloaded from website (http://www.flightgear.org/legacy-Downlo ... v2.12.html)

Any ideas what's wrong or.. how to fix it?

Screenshot attached
BrejSki

Re: Sea everywhere?

Postby Parnikkapore » Thu May 11, 2017 3:12 am

Heck, try ENBR (Bergen) and you'll be surprised.

Rambling aside, you need a while for TerraSync to download the scenery. Check the [File>Scenery download>Log] menu.
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

Postby Michat » Thu May 11, 2017 3:21 am

Try menu option File>> Download Scenery, Enable automatic download/update. Sometimes, and I don't know what's the reason, this option fails. So the trick we did with user Miguel last week was to disable this option, close FG, restart FG totally and check again. Sometimes the option appears as disable meaning that is working, and enable meaning is not working. Avoid using property TerraSync: enabled, use instead the menu option. Sometimes you should try it several times ( a couple). Because usually fails at first instance. For every try you should to close correctly FG first. This is a problem that use to happens since FG historical releases 1.9 and beyond.

I don't know what's the reason to have disable this option by default, cause every new user use to ask us how to get other airports and terrain in FG.

How you doing?
Michat

Version: 191b

Postby Thorsten » Thu May 11, 2017 7:58 am

I don't know what's the reason to have disable this option by default,

Assume you're on holiday with your laptop, your hotel charges your internet access by data volume, you just want a relaxing round of FG and it downloads a few GB worth of scenery, the hotel bills you steeply.

Software should never ever download anything without first being authorized by the user.
Thorsten

Postby BrejSki » Thu May 11, 2017 11:10 am

Michat wrote in Thu May 11, 2017 3:21 am:Try menu option File>> Download Scenery, Enable automatic download/update. Sometimes, and I don't know what's the reason, this option fails. So the trick we did with user Miguel last week was to disable this option, close FG, restart FG totally and check again. Sometimes the option appears as disable meaning that is working, and enable meaning is not working. Avoid using property TerraSync: enabled, use instead the menu option. Sometimes you should try it several times ( a couple). Because usually fails at first instance. For every try you should to close correctly FG first. This is a problem that use to happens since FG historical releases 1.9 and beyond.

I don't know what's the reason to have disable this option by default, cause every new user use to ask us how to get other airports and terrain in FG.

Tried it... And still nothing. Tried several times enabling TerraSync by File>>Download Scenery>>Apply - nothing. Only Bergen loads correctly, planes doesnt load, too
BrejSki

Postby Thorsten » Thu May 11, 2017 1:36 pm

That sounds like location/permission issues for the dowload directories then. Or your firewall doesn't give FG internet access.
Thorsten

Postby Parnikkapore » Thu May 11, 2017 2:52 pm

That's why I asked you to take a look at the Log tab.
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

Postby Michat » Sun May 14, 2017 12:26 am

Thorsten wrote in Thu May 11, 2017 7:58 am:
I don't know what's the reason to have disable this option by default,

Assume you're on holiday with your laptop, your hotel charges your internet access by data volume, you just want a relaxing round of FG and it downloads a few GB worth of scenery, the hotel bills you steeply.

Software should never ever download anything without first being authorized by the user.

Hey, Thosten. Could be good, for the reasons you comment, suggesting to include a short explanation of those in some brief adapted style into the FG tip of the day suggestions thread.

Something like: "Do you know that"... You can download other airports, by activating automatic download ( terrasync, disable by default ) ...bla bla bla (menu path to the activation option). And some advise for travellers, or those who could be under pay for download conditions.

If you are agree, we can suggest it to the tip of the day editor's team. If maybe they consider a helpful tip, as for newbies, such us for paybit'ers.

Cheers.

How you doing ?
Michat

Postby Thorsten » Sun May 14, 2017 6:21 am

Being an experienced FG user and developer, I'm probably among the least qualified persons to judge what'd be good to suggest to beginners. If you feel it's sound advice, please post it in the startup tip thread.
Thorsten

Postby Michat » Sun May 14, 2017 8:00 pm

I'll do. Thanks for your time.
Michat

Return to Graphics