Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

I can see the stars while I'm in the cloud at night,

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

I can see the stars while I'm in the cloud at night,

Postby carlosrenatopc » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:33 pm

I have two issues while I am flying in the clouds,

The cloud configuration is the same,

Using UFO aircraft to make the test,

FLIGHT GEAR 2017.1.2

Basic Weather, Manual Cloud Configuration,

Using one Layer, Cloud Base 1000, overcast, thickness 6000

1) Local time 12:00
We can get in the cloud,

The transition from 900 ft. to 1050 ft. is good, we saw the cloud base and we get in the cloud

But while we are in the cloud, 2000 ft. for example, we can see or identify the horizon line after some seconds, although we only see gray outside, the half upper screen is a little bit
dark gray than the half lower. We should turn off the room lights to see it clearly.

If make a turn you can know your attitude by looking on the horizon line,

I use Flight Gear to teach IFR procedures to my students and while they are in the cloud, they can know their attitude by looking out of the window.

I noticed it on FG 3.0 and I upgrade my FG to 2017.1.2 and we have the same result

2) Local time 00:00

With the same cloud configuration, while we are in the cloud, 2000 ft. for example. I can see the stars,

if I make a turn the stars moves.

If I go to 800 ft. I'm below cloud base, I do not see the stars, as soon as I climb to 2000 ft. and I get in the clouds, I see the stars.
carlosrenatopc

Re: I can see the stars while I'm in the cloud at night,

Postby Parnikkapore » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:35 am

It sounds like you are using the 2D clouds? If 3D clouds are used you can have clouds blocking part of the view.
But no, those clouds are technically paper and will either show or not show. You can't be "in" the cloud.

BTW, If you want to reproduce seeing nothing from the window at all times, kick down the visibility in your METAR.
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

Return to Graphics