Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Unable to set full screen resolution

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Unable to set full screen resolution

Postby udihow » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:24 pm

So I decided to try flightgear again, last time was like 8 years ago, I barely remember what it was like.

Running Windows (8.1). Problems arise right from the start. I've gone through everything I can find on the subject, still no solution.

If I put --geometry=*anyresolution* I get that resolution, but in a window..
If I put --enable-fullscreen or select "Start full-screen" I get fullscreen but at maximum resolution where the GUI is very tiny and it's just not optimal.

When I combine these two I'm expecting fullscreen at the entered resolution, but that is not what is happening. Instead I keep getting the maximum res no matter what I put after --geometry=. Why is it so?

What should I do if I want 2560x1440 at full screen?
udihow

Re: Unable to set full screen resolution

Postby Necolatis » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:38 pm

Fullscreen is always at what your monitor resolution currently is at as far as I know.
"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby AndersG » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:34 pm

There used to be a "game mode" that ran as full screen at a selected resolution, switching screen resolution as required. However, it was, IIRC, removed some years ago as it was rarely used at that point and possibly not even working anymore at the time.
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Callsign: SE-AG

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:22 am

i've had no problems using
Code: Select all
--enable-fullscreen
#--geometry=1024x768
#--geometry=1280x1024
--geometry=1600x1200

in my startup options... i just uncomment the geometry i want and comment the other out... works just fine for me on kubuntu 14.04.5... i haven't seen any changes in running the latest 2017.1.0 alpha code... i just double checked and no problems at all... not even setting to 800x600 in full screen mode... the image is a bit grainy compared to 1024x786 and my normal 1600x1200...

i've tried with using --enable-fullscreen as well as using the "start full screen" check box...

so that begs the question of what does your fgfs.log file show? if you can use "--log-level=debug" on your command line and then set your options in the options box... start the sim and wait a minute or two then exit it... then finding and looking at the fgfs.log file, within the first 100 lines you should see something like this...

Code: Select all
[...]
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2345:      option:enable-terrasync =
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2345:      option:enable-real-weather-fetch =
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2345:      option:disable-rembrandt =
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2345:      option:enable-fullscreen =
[...]
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:907:Setting geometry to 1024x768

general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2345:      option:geometry = 1024x768
[...]
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby zakalawe » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:00 pm

The interaction of requesting a geometry and full-screen mode depends on some details of OpenSceneGraph and will vary by each platform. My understanding was that full-screen always used the native screen resolution, but I haven't tested this in any great detail, so if it does interact with --geometry on some platforms, that's essentially a bonus feature.
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW
Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:44 am

as long as you select a geometry supported by your monitor and video driver, why shouldn't you be able to use fullscreen mode at some geometry less than your monitor's max resolution? then again, i'm using a ""real"" monitor... a good old fashioned CRT... samsung syncmaster 900p... weighs a ton and huge on the desk but i can do any resolutions up to 1600x1200 as long as the driver also supports them... LED/LCD/Plasma stuff? yeah, i've seen plenty of them that won't change their resolution for anything...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby zakalawe » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:05 am

It's a software issue, the basic OpenSceneGraph windowing implementation we use doesn't support mode-switching on the monitor. Essentially full-screen mode is just a maximised window with the borders / decoration removed. We could add mode-switching but that's some platform-specific, quite unpleasant work. (And I don't volunteer to to support all the ways it can go wrong...)
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW
Version: next

Return to Graphics