Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Problem: very low FPS with Airubuses

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Problem: very low FPS with Airubuses

Postby sp-lcz » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:46 am

Hi,

I have a huge problem with FPS / frame rate when I use Airbuses (like A320neo, A330 or A340 - form wiki or directly from GitHub - diferent versions). I have 3 to 5 FPS!
But when I use Boeings (733, 738, 752, 763, 772, 787) or ERJ-195, MD-11 or other aircrafts I have over than 30 FPS.

I use FlightGear 2016.4.4 on Windows 10:
Lenovo Y70-70 - laptop
Processor: Intel Core i7-4720HQ (4 rdzenie, od 2.60 GHz do 3.60 GHz, 6 MB cache)
Grafic: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M, + Intel HD Graphics 4600
RAM: 8 GB (SO-DIMM DDR3, 1600 MHz)
Screen: 17.3-inch, 1,920 x 1,080 FHD multi-touch screen
HDD: Hybrid 1TB (5400 RPM) plus 8GB SSD

I have the same problem on my MacBook PRO 13”.

I really like Airbuses but it is impossible to fly by them.
Do you have similar problem? Maybe you know, how to resolve it?

Thank you in advance!
Lukasz SP-LCZ
sp-lcz

Callsign: SP-LCZ
Version: 17.3.1

Re: Problem: very low FPS with Airubuses

Postby Thorsten » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:59 am

If it's aircraft specific, then it's likely aircraft systems/scripting related, so chances are you can't do anything if you don't want to re-write the airplane (you have to find the bottleneck inside the aircraft systems and fix it).

It's possible that there's simply a performance-wasting bug, it's also possible that the systems are simply very complex and cost accordingly, but there's no simple 'fix' you could apply.
Thorsten

Postby sp-lcz » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:28 pm

I found one solution (by Omega95) for a320neo and it works! I disabled the interior of the aircraft - result = > 30 FPS.

Edited files:
Models/A319neo.xml
Models/A320neo.xml
Models/A321neo.xml

Code: Select all
<!-- model>
      <name>Interior</name>
      <path>Aircraft/A320neo/Models/Interior/a320neo.interior.xml</path>
   </model -->

Maybe somebody know, how to find similar solutions for a330, a340? I check xml files but I can not to find reference to the interior ...
sp-lcz

Callsign: SP-LCZ
Version: 17.3.1

Postby Thorsten » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:40 pm

I disabled the interior of the aircraft

Probably makes it hard to read the instruments though...
Thorsten

Postby dutchman » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:53 am

By disabling the interior you just get rid of the passenger cabin. It's the first thing I do when installing!

Somebody in the past has done a nice job of creating the cabin, but his use of textures was too put it mildly a bit over the top.
A propeller is just a big fan in front of the plane used to keep the pilot cool.
When it stops, you can watch him start sweating.
dutchman

Version: 2018.2.2

Postby Thorsten » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:11 am

Well, that doesn't make any sense.

Unless the passenger cabin brings tons of its own Nasal scripts, it's just a textured 3d mesh. At a location which you don't see looking forward out of the cockpit, so it never enters the rendering pipeline because it's culled first, hence it can't drag framerate, so removing it should basically do nothing for your normal view out of the window.
Thorsten

Return to Graphics