Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Fluctuating FPS

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Re: Fluctuating FPS

Postby Clive2670 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:04 pm

GlynD02 wrote in Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:09 pm:Just tried resetting my virtual memory on a Windows 10 64-bit PC. I can now get fairly decent frame rates with the vegetation set to high, thanks Clive. Still can't go to very high though, however it certainly looks a lot better than medium as I prefer a "low and slow" helicopter in the sim...

Cheers

Hi GlynD02, Glad my findings were of help! F.Y.I. I also have found if you are running AMD graphics (like me) be careful as if you update to "the most recent" AMD software for your GPU, this can really affect your FPS. I always keep a copy of the "last good known" software in a folder on my desktop so I can COMPLTELY remove including "appdata" files that software and revert back to a config' that I know is good! Your joining date is recent, so I guess you are new? Hope you get as much enjoyment "flying" as I do ( nearly 2000 hours in the 777) Cheers Clive
Thanks Clive aka: G-BLS01
Can be seen flying the Boeing 777-200LR
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
AMD R7-M260 graphics 2Gb RAM
Clive2670

Callsign: G-BLS01
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby GlynD02 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:38 pm

Hi Clive

Yes I am new to the sim. I'm on a Nvidia card, so a different set of problems no doubt :-)

I would like to learn XML and nasal so I can change HUDs and systems for my favourite helicopter, the AH-64D. Oh and bombable as well plus making missions. So I expect I will be asking lots of questions.

Cheers
GlynD02

Version: 2017.2.1

Postby Clive2670 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:31 pm

Well there are plenty of people on here that should be able to help, answer questions, or at least point you in the right direction
Thanks Clive aka: G-BLS01
Can be seen flying the Boeing 777-200LR
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
AMD R7-M260 graphics 2Gb RAM
Clive2670

Callsign: G-BLS01
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby GlynD02 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:21 am

Thanks Clive - waiting on a couple of answers to stuff already :D

Cheers
GlynD02

Version: 2017.2.1

Postby Hooray » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:25 am

People able to patch/build from source can also use the "sigar" patches to expose "swappiness" at the property level:

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Resource_Tra ... FlightGear
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby V12 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:24 pm

In my laptop again died graphics card. I replaced AMD FirePro with nVidia Quadro 1000M. And have strange problem - with UFO I'm hovering above some place without any movement, but FPS fluctuating from 40 to 4 fps. LUbuntu 18.04, FG2018.3.1. Where can be problem ?
Thank You in advance.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:34 pm

Quadro is better for workstations, not games. However to be sure check in the nividia control panel that the high performance gpu is selected and it is using it instead of any integrated gpu. Also update drivers.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby V12 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:31 pm

I know that Quadro is workstation and not game graphics. I have last drivers. There is specific problem with large fluctuating FPS without any movement, no wind, no clouds, no weather (disabled internet access), all shaders off etc. Similar problem is on Win7 too. There is not any reason for that large fluctuation.
Quadro 1000 is very poor in comparison with FirePro previously installed in that laptop (DELL Precission M4600). On other laptop (HP EliteBook 8560w with Quadro 1000 too, this problem doesn't exist. But on HP is LUbuntu 18.10, not 18.04. I will try upgrade Lubuntu on DELL.
Still finding solution. Probably, there is problem in CPU with hyperthread on DELL, tomorrow will try disable hyperthreading...
V12

Postby V12 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:20 am

For me, probably solved, on Win7 I installed very old driver and this change eliminated fluctuation. FPS is still low, but usable. That graphics card is polygon monster, but very dislike texturing.
V12

Previous

Return to Graphics