Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Bad framerate.

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Bad framerate.

Postby VomitSpewer » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:11 pm

Well, I'm running a R7 240 2GB DDR3 overclocked. CPU is a AMD 4300 FX. I have ALS on, Cloud density about 75%. I don't know why this is so slow. Using Windows 10, 2016.1.1, occurring everywhere. Using all aircraft.
Last edited by VomitSpewer on Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VomitSpewer

Callsign: N701DN
Version: 2016.1.1

Re: Bad framerate.

Postby Johan G » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:21 pm

We need a lot more information to be able to help figure out your problem (see red box above). In particular the aircraft used and the command line comes to mind. The location/airport may also make quite a difference.

One pitfall that used to be more common, in particular on laptops, was if the computer used an integrated graphics chipset instead of the dedicated graphics card. This usually can be checked in computer or graphics card vendor's software/driver.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby VomitSpewer » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:47 pm

Oh shit, sorry. I wasted your time. I just realized that i had Rembrandt on. Rembrandt wrecks my computer.
VomitSpewer

Callsign: N701DN
Version: 2016.1.1

Postby Michat » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:08 am

You might want to try each one of these specific properties. Both ALS or Rembrandt.

One of these properties will give you better performance and fine tuning for your machine.

Code: Select all
--prop:/sim/rendering/multithreading-mode=AutomaticSelection

--prop:/sim/rendering/multithreading-mode=CullDrawThreadPerContext

--prop:/sim/rendering/multithreading-mode=DrawThreadPerContext

--prop:/sim/rendering/multithreading-mode=CullThreadPerCameraDrawThreadPerContext

Happier Hardware I'll say.
Michat

Version: 191b

Postby Johan G » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:47 am

VomitSpewer wrote in Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:47 pm:Oh shit, sorry. I wasted your time.

No worries. ;)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Josh_grtuxteam » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:57 pm

Michat wrote in Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:08 am:You might want to try each one of these specific properties. Both ALS or Rembrandt.

One of these properties will give you better performance and fine tuning for your machine.

Code: Select all
--prop:/sim/rendering/multithreading-mode=AutomaticSelection

--prop:/sim/rendering/multithreading-mode=CullDrawThreadPerContext

--prop:/sim/rendering/multithreading-mode=DrawThreadPerContext

--prop:/sim/rendering/multithreading-mode=CullThreadPerCameraDrawThreadPerContext

Happier Hardware I'll say.

Also mind the Clouds, at home, reducing the density from 0.6 to 0.25 multiply per two the fps. :) ( from 17 fps to 34 fps )

Josh
Josh_grtuxteam

Version: lastStable

Return to Graphics