Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

White screen upon load sometimes - PLEASE HELP!  Topic is solved

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

White screen upon load sometimes - PLEASE HELP!

Postby aymuats » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:01 pm

Hey,
I am new to flightgear and the community, but I hope someone can help me out with this:
I am running Windows 10, NVIDIA GTX 950, Core i5 6th gen (Desktop Computer with 2 monitors).
I tried to use both 2016.3 and 2016.1 Screenshots are on 2016.1
Settings:

I click run,
And then I get a white screen (unresponsive):

Very annoying.
Sometimes it works, most times I get the screen above.
aymuats

Re: White screen upon load sometimes - PLEASE HELP!

Postby Parnikkapore » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:25 am

What happens after the white screen?
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

Postby aymuats » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:00 pm

Absolutely nothing. It just hangs, and if I click it, it says (not responding).
I found that turning compatibility mode on, then trying to run, toggling it off, and then trying to run, and then toggling on, and then trying to run, then trying to run again works.
However, this is extremely annoying, and I don't know if the above really works, but rather the repeated trying is what works.
But I'd rather not have to do this because this entails hard exiting using task manager.
Thanks for helping out!
aymuats

Postby Jet86 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:58 am

If you can run fgfs.exe from the command line, it may give some indication of what is causing the application to freeze for you.
Jet86

Version: 2016.3.1

Postby aymuats » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:20 am

I just tried that - I typed fgfs.exe into the cmd.
It made another prompt line, like C:/System32/>, as if it had finished the command.
And then the same white frozen window opened up.
AARGH!
Thanks so much for your support!
aymuats

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:06 am

have you updated your video drivers? sometimes they can get in the way and cause problems like this...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby aymuats » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:36 am

Just updated to new nvidia drivers. Same issue, though.
aymuats

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:57 am

are you doing anything special (config=foo.xml) to drive dual monitors with FGFS? i'm kinda reaching but thought if you were using a special xml file for flightgear, it may need to be temp disabled or modified to fit your setup... you said you are new to the community but i don't know how long you've run flightgear... i'm coming up on my 2nd year anniversary in a few months and still consider myself new to the community ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby aymuats » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:25 pm

Not doing anything special. I am a noob, and just using the GUI. However, I did notice that once I unplugged my 2nd monitor (connected by a hdmi - dvi cable) flightgear loaded up fine. Also, Adobe Premiere wasn't having the same issues as before. I heard there is something messed up with windows 10, nvidia, and dual monitors. I think I'll try calling NVIDIA for support on this issue, because it is more a graphics card issue than a Flightgear issue. But I will try to post the answer they give if it works.

Thanks for all the support!
aymuats

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:41 pm

excellent! i'm glad you figured the base problem out...

i was definitely wondering about the dual monitor thing... i mean, it is workable... many use it... there's an upcoming gathering in europe somewhere and flightgear will have a presence there... in the past, they've demoed flightgear with a nice eight monitor (IIRC) setup on linux (IIRC2)... so it is possible but... and i know that there are some doing it on winwhatever but i don't know what version of winwhatever...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby aymuats » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:44 pm

Sorry for not posting in such a long time.
What fixed the problem was rolling back to old drivers.
aymuats

Return to Graphics